One piece of rubbish-do it !!!!

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Re: One piece of rubbish-do it !!!!

Postby oddmanout » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Every time I surf my local spot, i make sure to park near a bin and make sure to bring any rubbish on route from the surf up with me. I've also started grabbing trail trash (on flat days) when out mtb'ing. which even more frustratingly I believe is often left my other riders, power gel wrappers etc This is one of my favourite campaigns: http://www.sas.org.uk/campaign/return-to-offender/
oddmanout

Postby well-chilled-out » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Awesome but I really don't want to bog & ultimately bore people with the politics. SAS do what they do . I have no interest where rubbish comes from just that it's there. Like said, just ONE piece as you leave the beach as a habit , each & every time really does make a difference. If you decide to collect more-sweet.Hang loose all...
well-chilled-out

Postby well-chilled-out » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:17 pm

[b]Grockle & Emmit season upon us so spread the good vibe everyone. Thanked a couple of kiddies for picking up some trash on the beach this week even though their parents were chastising them. Funny that the kids were doing it to make something in a school project though.Who cares, the beach looked better :-)
well-chilled-out

Postby well-chilled-out » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:23 pm

915 views so far & counting. Spread the word to your mates & do the right 'thang'.....That is unless there's one mad bugger out there who's viewed this 914 times..In that case I'm screwed ..
well-chilled-out

Postby gasman1984 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:25 am

Great thread.

I dont pick up as much as I should but will be picking up at least the one piece everytime I go.

I was on frasier island last year at dusk after a great day (not surfing, does such a thing exist? Well as close to a great day as you can get without surfing) on my way back to camp I picked up a plastic bottle and took it back. The tour guide who loves the island and has pretty much grown up there and also surfs it regularly was really touched. Was a good feeling.
gasman1984

Postby tootes » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:17 pm

three bits picked up at our local playground the other night. It was immaculate when I left it :)

got inspired by this thread to be more pro-active, especially when with the kids.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby w-c-o » Sun May 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Actually caught an old dear hanging a her dog shite tree decoration on the beach fencing. When approached she actually thought it was someone else's job to clear her dog crap up & she didn't want it in her car ! She did take it away after I politely informed her of our quest & actually picked up a plastic bottle as well. Ignorance is bliss but I think our little mission is doing good things. Keep motivated everyone- spread the word :wink:
w-c-o

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun May 11, 2014 10:59 pm

^^ forgot your logon ? :lol:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby w-c-o » Mon May 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Ha Ha, you've rumbled me ...Locked me out after trying to use another site's password...Won't let me re-set for some reason. I've got to take the last of the Seaweeds repaired up boards in so will have them sort it out then- It's an age thing :roll: :lol: Bet you were all thinking 'who's this new cock using bold fonts like well-chilled-out' ? :P
w-c-o

Postby Ross » Sun May 18, 2014 12:09 pm

Always try and pick up least one piece of litter every time i go to the beach and few of my mates do the same thing, the biggest task is educating other beach users to do the same and not to drop the litter in the first place.
Surfings the source man change your life sware to god.
Live to surf..Surf to live!
Ross

Postby gasman1984 » Sun May 18, 2014 1:26 pm

Been in hossegor for ten days so far. Pick up a plastic bottle or glass every time I surf or check the surf. Im averaging 5 bits of litter a day. Im here for 6 weeks. Thats a lot of litter.
gasman1984

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon May 19, 2014 7:58 pm

Ross wrote:Always try and pick up least one piece of litter every time i go to the beach and few of my mates do the same thing, the biggest task is educating other beach users to do the same and not to drop the litter in the first place.

ROTW .............. how goes it son :-)
ATTMFKH

Postby Ross » Tue May 20, 2014 8:22 am

ATTMFKH, all going good with me bud and the ROTW. Not been on here for ages. You getting much time in the water?
Surfings the source man change your life sware to god.
Live to surf..Surf to live!
Ross

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue May 20, 2014 12:32 pm

aye , but as always not enough. was in at the weekend there but a bit sparse - just watching your local breaking not too shabby with one guy in .........
ATTMFKH

Postby Grrr42 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:45 am

I carry a roll of poop bags whenever I walk my dog, if I see someone letting their dog shit without picking it up, I politely run up to them and shove a bag in their hand, saying "ooh you must have forgotten to bring one! Here, I've got loads spare, take another just incase they do it again!"
If you don't want to carry the bag full of shit for the rest of your walk... Tough! Don't own a dog in the first place! If it stinks your car out... Tough! Double bag it!
Grrr42

Postby Dantastic » Fri May 30, 2014 12:04 pm

This post inspired me to retrieve a massive white builders sack from bobbing around in the line up last weekend. Managed to catch a wave into the beach with it under my chest as paddling and then under my feet. Was a bit slippy!
Dantastic

Postby Black » Fri May 30, 2014 1:57 pm

The last bit of rubbish I removed from the beach was a dog poop bag, although unused it was full of irony! :-)
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri May 30, 2014 2:45 pm

^ never understood the dog shit thing - owners that do the right thing and pick it up then fire the bag into the boonies where it get stuck up a tree for 3 years .... nasty :-|
ATTMFKH

Postby MrMik » Fri May 30, 2014 8:10 pm

My hypothesis is that some dog owners pick up the poop when they are being observed, to avoid confrontation, but then throw the bag when they think no-one is looking.
MrMik

Postby The Weegie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:09 pm

'Ave no been on here in ages but read this post and am pretty inspired to do this more, this one should be up there with best msw thread ever contenders.........oh, is there a thread on that already from years back?
The Weegie

Postby w-c-o » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:38 am

Glad you like it- there was something a while ago with me championing Skip Frye & his daily routine of clearing rubbish from his beach in California. As surfers we are graced with beauty all around us. I'm not too religious but it is almost spiritual when you think about it. I just find rubbish on the beach is a reminder that the world in general doesn't care. True surfers are different & genuinely want a cleaner place to surf.
I am humbled by the number of people I now see picking up a piece of trash & this has extended to mates who also coast walk-they now do the same & have spread the word.
So continue to be 'great' everyone- it's a little request that means so much for all of us...

Well done all.....
w-c-o

Postby Chris F » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:55 am

MrMik wrote:My hypothesis is that some dog owners pick up the poop when they are being observed, to avoid confrontation, but then throw the bag when they think no-one is looking.

Good theory, I'm sure you are on the money. I'm doing the pick up a bit on our local beach too, even though it's no good for surf. And geting the kids to do the same, and choosing the least biodegradable and most harmful stuff; polystyrene and plastic over cans and cardboard.

Can this thread be pushed to the top of the page and stickied?
Chris F

Postby swiggy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:01 pm

If you are interested in ocean rubbish, I'm going to plug my mate's film "tidelines". http://oceangybe.com/tidelines/ 3 surfers who took 3 years sailing round the world surfing and counting trash in the ocean and washed up on various beaches, its insane how much plastic and all sorts of stuff gets washed up in remote places. I've seen it here too, uninhabited islands have all sorts of crap on them, we have a bit of tsunami debris too which I'm not sure I want to be removing/touching at all..

Anyway check the film out, its made by good people too.
swiggy

Postby Chris F » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Was pleased for the first time in ages to fail to find a bit of rubbish walking from sea to car at Aberdeen. I suspect it may have just been due to a very high tide though!
Chris F

Postby Philshoz » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:52 pm

https://www.facebook.com/2minutebeachclean

My mate Dorey is gathering pace with this idea.

Might start a French chapter …..deux minutes, plage propre……why not :?: :idea:
Philshoz

Postby w-c-o » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:10 pm

Thumbs up to the Freshwater West locals. Happened to be there last week when the B.L.U contest was on. Couple of locals saw me picking up rubbish & 'thanked me'. After a quick chat they thought it a great idea & vowed to follow my little campaign & spread the word. I believe them so well done in Wales. You've probably got more work to do with some major industry in the area....You have beautiful beaches & I consider it an honour to surf them.....Off the subject but relevant..Just want to compliment the little surf shop in Newgale-awesome friendly lads who were eager to promote their sport & area. Also the Patagonia shop in St Davids. They've got it wired- Eco but not ramming it down yer throat....
w-c-o

Postby Chris F » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:38 am

Was thinking about this the other day - shouldn't only happen on the beach. Any piece of rubbish not picked up will invariably end up in the sea.
Chris F

Postby thechimp » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:52 pm

Just a point about NT beaches, their policy this year seems to 'No Bins' was at Wembury last night, there are now no bins by the bridge or toilets like there used to be.
The litter is piled in the toilets, and the area at the top of the steps. Nearby Bovi 1 (Plymouth city council) and Bovi 2 and 3 (South Hams) all have bins, have dragged fishing nets and all sorts of crap discharged overboard to the bins and have always been removed by the council. I just think the NT needs to re think its policy, will have a word with the car park guy. There is even a new sign at Wembury 'No dumping of rubbish' :roll:
thechimp

Postby w-c-o » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:43 am

Long time since I posted but grockle season upon us so YOUR help needed now.DO the right thing ,just one piece of rubbish each & every time.This philosophy has reached our coastal walkers down here in sunny Devon & a real help. Thanks all, my little crusade is reaching all you fine folk who don't mind preserving beautiful places.Peace.
w-c-o

Postby thechimp » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:35 pm

Nice to see the return of your bold print, is this the busiest august ever? i know the old saying went, a bit worse than last year, a bit better than next,
as i went for a surf last sunday evening, my wife picked a bin bag full of disposeable bbq's cans and bottles from a tiny area of the Crantock dunes,
roll on September.
thechimp

PreviousNext

Return to General