winter wetsuits

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

winter wetsuits

Postby Voyager » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:39 pm

can anyone recommend a really good winter wetsuit, the Rip Curl Flashbomb 6/4mm chest zip hooded is the one I keep coming back to, but I'd just like to hear any recent experiences/purchases that have been the one to buy or maybe avoid!
I'm surfing in the UK, so it's cold around 9 degrees in winter.

cheers!
Voyager

Re: winter wetsuits

Postby Shiraz Jiwa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:43 am

Depends which part of the UK - as temperatures even here can vary depending on location.

You'll want to go for a Snugg or Xcel!
Never known to miss a marketing opportunity... After years in the wilderness, Sj, the harbinger of doom, Mr Entropy, the kiss of death, the swell killer, yes, the man formerly known as SJ, is back, cunningly disguised as Sj ! {Quote: Tony Plant - 2009}
Shiraz Jiwa

Postby danny1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:53 pm

really? Again?
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Leven » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:32 pm

Try the search function (top right). This has been covered once or twice...
Leven

Postby briggfoot » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Well at least there's some new posts on the forum! :lol: Surely this is something we should be encouraging?!

I dunno about new wetsuits mate, I have also had a couple of Ripcurl E-Bomb pro's that I've literally worn for years (about 4 years,) surfing pretty dammed regularly, and they are still going. Havn't tried any other brand really but the Ripcurls I have had have been faultless for me.
Recently used a couple of toobs of Wetsuit Glue to seal up some of the seams that have got a bit leaky (found this much better than Epoxy Resin which I tried before, in the crotch = bad moves, John Wayne'esque.)

Anyone got any feedback on these new zip-less chest-entry suits they're doin?!
briggfoot

Postby JayP » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:18 pm

I've got a zip less entry o Neill. It's a 5.3 . Bought it on sale as wasn't really considering one but it was a bargain price.

It's a great suit for the money. Crazy warm and flexible but also really light. ( All nothing to do with the zip or lack thereof!). As for the entry. It's fine. Works as well as any of my other suits. Slightly trickier to get into but that's it.

I think the whole zipper less thing is a gimmick. You don't really gain anything by no zip across your chest so I wouldn't run out to buy another but it's a good suit nonetheless.
JayP

Postby Philchapman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:28 am

briggfoot wrote:(found this much better than Epoxy Resin which I tried before, in the crotch = bad moves, John Wayne'esque.)

No shit! :lol: Did you put any glass in there with it for strength? :lol: Brilliant!
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby briggfoot » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:52 pm

Philchapman wrote:
briggfoot wrote:(found this much better than Epoxy Resin which I tried before, in the crotch = bad moves, John Wayne'esque.)

No shit! :lol: Did you put any glass in there with it for strength? :lol: Brilliant!

Paha, :-D You laugh, but for the first day or so after I applied it, it was see-through and kinda supple. A few surfs in, it's gone a kinda brown/yellow crusty colour and like concrete! So if you see someone out surfing around Devon/Cornwall who looks like they've sharted last nights microwave Tikka, do say hello. :P
briggfoot

Postby Philshoz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:51 pm

briggfoot wrote:Well at least there's some new posts on the forum! :lol: Surely this is something we should be encouraging?!

I dunno about new wetsuits mate, I have also had a couple of Ripcurl E-Bomb pro's that I've literally worn for years (about 4 years,) surfing pretty dammed regularly, and they are still going. Havn't tried any other brand really but the Ripcurls I have had have been faultless for me.
Recently used a couple of toobs of Wetsuit Glue to seal up some of the seams that have got a bit leaky (found this much better than Epoxy Resin which I tried before, in the crotch = bad moves, John Wayne'esque.)

Anyone got any feedback on these new zip-less chest-entry suits they're doin?!

Yup briggfoot, love my 4/3 zip-free, hoping it gets me through a Brittany winter. It is soooo flexy, I'd much rather have 90mins of supple surf than 3-4hrs of a 5/4 stiff suit.
Philshoz

Postby Philchapman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:33 pm

briggfoot wrote:Paha, :-D You laugh, but for the first day or so after I applied it, it was see-through and kinda supple. A few surfs in, it's gone a kinda brown/yellow crusty colour and like concrete! So if you see someone out surfing around Devon/Cornwall who looks like they've sharted last nights microwave Tikka, do say hello. :P

No offence meant by my comments, I just found that very amusing. :D Most surfers look like they've just sharted last nights microwave tikka, especially if they've got their trousers held up by their pubes, so how will I know it's really you? :lol:

Liking your style Philshoz. Fast 'n' light may be the way forward for the 'mature' gent this winter.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby briggfoot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Philchapman wrote:No offence meant by my comments, I just found that very amusing. :D Most surfers look like they've just sharted last nights microwave tikka, especially if they've got their trousers held up by their pubes, so how will I know it's really you? :lol:

None taken bud! :P :lol: Haha yeah a lot of surfers look and dress more like surfers than the pro's themselves!

Cheers for the thoughts on the suits Phil and Jay, that's interesting feedback. I wonder if part of the idea of them is that they are cheaper to produce seeing, as they don't have to buy in zipper systems from a company, or do the intricate stitching them in.

Bring on tomorrow!
briggfoot

Postby tootes » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:23 pm

I did three hours in my hooded 6.4 excel with new 7m excel boots and new 7m f-bomb gloves this week in east coast Scotland no probs. Wetsuit is on its third season.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Return to General