Post Surf Migrane

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Post Surf Migrane

Postby davidsquance » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:36 am

Hi All,

I've been a UK bodyboarder all my life and for as long as I can remember have suffered from very occasional migranes after surfing. These usually come on 30 mins to an hour after getting out the water and are quite severe with some effects lasting for a few days after.

Recently I have spent a lot less time in the water but now am finding these migranes will happen almost every time I surf. I'm pretty desperate to find out what is triggering them now as I'm so close to throwing in the towel and quitting surfing all together. :cry:

I'm not looking for medical advice but am very interested to find if anyone else has suffered something similar and if they figured out what the cause was?
I very rarely suffer migranes in any other sports I do and they always happen once i'm back out the water.

Thanks,
Dave
davidsquance

Re: Post Surf Migrane

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:28 pm

not a migraine sufferer myself, but my guess would be neck strain causing it. a few simple stretches before and after a surf might be all you need.
Hopefully some of the older bastards on here will chime in with their broken bodies and how they cope :lol:
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:41 am

^^ older bastard reporting for duty....sir ! young(er) prick :lol: :lol:

I get them - what is good after a surf is using one of those wee wheat filled bags you put in the microwave - 2 mins 10 secs in the microwave then put onto neck.

I also do stretches with my neck in the water.
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Paul C » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:04 pm

It happens to me occasionally, usually about an hour after I come out the surf and lasts for about twenty minutes. I thought it was due to the sun glaring and shining of the water.
Paul C

Postby davidsquance » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:48 am

Thanks for the replies young and old alike. Its interesting to hear about the idea that it’s the strain on the neck causing them, this makes sense considering the paddling position is so unique in surfing and never really the same in any other sport. I always used to think it was blood sugar related but only now am I realising how specific it is to surfing, also thought for a while I was having issues with the water in my ears but I’ve been wearing plugs recently ( wish I started doing this earlier) and still getting migraine. I deffinately have bad posture generally which I really need to sort out, maybe this will help the general situation...
davidsquance

Postby Vince Noir » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:12 am

- water trapped in sinuses

- the cold

ill get a horrid headache if i stay in too long and get too cold. could well be the beginning of hypothermia
Vince Noir

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:58 pm

^ not for me - I get it surfing in warmer places as well - reckon it is just neck strain
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:35 pm

Would have thought neck strain is most likely
Chris F

Postby r896neo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:33 pm

It's the rapid temperature change for me. I get them when I get out in cold weather and having been cool in the water, then I get dried and rapidly heat up. If I get straight into a warm car my right eye goes and I get a blinding migraine. I try to be careful and warm up steadily and usually pop a migraleave. If you take the pink ones at the warning sign (often one eye out of focus or visual issues) it usually stops them in their tracks. I would be in trouble surfing in winter without them.
r896neo

Postby danny1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:17 pm

I try to always stretch off my neck shoulders hips a bit

not always hough

have suffered with bad necks but never migraine

therefore: totally different angle from me on this one....

what about post adrenaline release?

Have you tried meditating afterwards?
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby toddstorm » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:31 pm

Have you tried meditating afterwards?

Have you tried immediate and furious masterbation?

I'm no health professional but if you do it might be best to wait until you get off the beach.
toddstorm

Postby len » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:29 pm

myofascial trigger points basically knots .part of the muscle tightens up and doesnt release .i used to get mild headaches after a surf had them in my neck pyhsio released them now gone .hope this helps. maybe,
len

Postby oneftonshore » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:52 pm

Dehydration and too much caffeine cause my migraines. Often get stoked for an early surf, neck a strong coffee and rush out. By the time I've been out there 3 hours it's too late. Added to that staring out to sea with glare from the sun screwing up your eyes and causing tension. Sinuses blocked also doesn't help.

Solution - drink loads of water (keep a bottle in the car) now your nose, wear blue tack ear plugs and surf on cloudy days (not hard this time of year).
oneftonshore

Return to General