What's the deal with Widemouth?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

What's the deal with Widemouth?

Postby Voyager » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:43 am

I've lived in North Cornwall for almost a year now and must have surfed Widemouth Bay 50 times, and I still cannot fathom that wave out. High tide is a shore dump...so is low tide, but then I've had my best ever day on a 5' low tide day over near Black Rock. Does anyone know when this beach really works? [what point[s] of the tide, wind, moving channels etc] any info/Widemouth experiences gratefully received, it's the most frustrating wave I've ever known!
Voyager

Re: What's the deal with Widemouth?

Postby jam bo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:12 pm

its my closest and easiest beach to get to but i tend to avoid it as it can be so hit and miss. had some awesome sessions there, but more often come away disappointed wishing I driven a bit further north or south.
jam bo

Postby Voyager » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:04 pm

glad to hear it's not just me then! Can you recommend anywhere more consistent North or South?
Oddly enough I've seen more waves hold their face at Widdy when it's an absolute mess, compared the 3' glassy offshore lined up days....very odd!

I usually go to Saunton if it's looking really good.
Voyager

Postby jam bo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:22 pm

I’m tending towards polzeath these days, not an amazing wave but much more consistent and long rides.

or further south, since they’ve finished the a30 past Bodmin it’s sped up getting south a lot particularly in the summer.

North of bude, sandymouth can be good on a low tide, duckpool and northcott as well but not much experience of them.
jam bo

Return to General