not sure what kind of board to use

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

not sure what kind of board to use

Postby andrew waltrip » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:05 pm

hey guys, I'm in need of some advise, i live on the gulf of mexico, which isn't a swell magnet by any means, but I can do all right on a long board usually. i'm most defiantly a novice, i've been surfing in the summer for about 2 years now so i'm not that great. my parents just told me that we are going to Costa rica for a week on spring break. I asked if i could take a board or two with me, and they said i could rent one down there, the thing is, i've never been on anything over 6/7 feet, do you have any pointers that could help me out, and also, what style of board should i rent while i'm there, a long board? short board? or is there something else i'm not thinking of?
andrew waltrip

Re: not sure what kind of board to use

Postby insideout » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Rent something similar to what you’re used to and find a mellow wave to get started.

If you feel confident and want to experiment then start trying some smaller boards in better waves and see how you go.

Some rental shops will let you pay a days rent and go back as many tines as you want to change for a different board.
insideout

Re: not sure what kind of board to use

Postby Voyager » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:59 pm

It depends on where you're going in Costa Rica, I've done Jaco a few times and it's a pretty good beach wave, but only worked really well for about 1 hour per day. I know people who went to Mal Pias and said it was tough work, others said it was great so.....
You said you were ok on a long board but later said you haven't been on anything over 6/7 ft....board presumably , not wave??
I would go for a bit of an all rounder, large mini mal 8' + , or 9' ish long board. But then if you're hiring I guess you can always take it back and ask to replace it for something else if it's not working out can't you?
Voyager

Return to General