why is my new Excel Infiniti wetsuit sh*t?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

why is my new Excel Infiniti wetsuit sh*t?

Postby Voyager » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:22 pm

yup, I thought I'm gonna go mad this winter and get a 1st class wetsuit. £350 later....I've got my new Excel Infiniti....only trouble is - it's rubbish!

It's a 5/4 with built in hood and it's a darn tight fit, so should be warm eh?

But - Somewhere water is getting in, it's all good n dandy until you take a head plant, or even paddle out, or just fall off. I think water is getting in on the left shoulder
where the flap tightens. The cord won't tighten any further, it's at its max, but one big slosh and I feel it down round the torso and bottom of my back.
I'm also suspicious of water getting in around the hood join and through the face hole, I cannot do the freakin' cord up 100% on the face as you cannot see a thing, and if I pull the mouth covering over my mouth I can't breath. Also if you tighten the hood cord up to its max, it's so restrictive it pulls yer eyes when you look round to catch a wave, and you start seeing double!
I already had to cut off the stooopid peak as it really limited my vision when paddling.
Also I've noticed that the chest zip comes undone sometimes cos the magnetic stopper strip comes undone.

Just did 2 hours at Saunton today and got cold!
I've had a Gul suit which never flushed even if I did look like Benny from Abba, I've had cheap £120 Alder, Circle One suits that were really good.

Anyone else had problems with the Excel Infiniti?
Voyager

Re: why is my new Excel Infiniti wetsuit sh*t?

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:54 pm

youre suspicious of water getting in through the face hole................
Vince Noir

Postby Voyager » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Vince Noir wrote:youre suspicious of water getting in through the face hole................

yes sir...
Voyager

Postby Leven » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:40 am

You probably should've got an Xcel, but spelling aside....

I had a 4mm hooded a couple of years ago and it was utter shite. Didn't even last a season before falling apart. Leaked through the seams from day one. Build quality on then has gone downhill massively.
Leven

Postby Voyager » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:32 pm

aha..that's it , I bought an Excel not an Xcel with a face sized hole....where the face goes! Tee hee...

Dohhhh.....

Anyway I'm thinking of filling it up with bubble wrap.

Does anyone know of any really super duper winter rash vests that might help?
Voyager

Postby insideout » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:23 am

This might sound stupid but hear me out.

You can over tighten the toggle/elastic/cord on the chest to the point where it doesn’t seal properly because it gathers the material.

When tightening it up make sure to do it tight but make sure it’s not too tight.... trial and error fo sho!
insideout

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:19 pm

just bought a Lunasurf Hooded .................. not got it wet yet, time will tell
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:33 pm

I've got a great polypro rashvest with built in hood.

Trouble is it's an XCEL and about 10 years old.
Chris F

Postby Chrisisted » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 am

ATTMFKH wrote:just bought a Lunasurf Hooded .................. not got it wet yet, time will tell

Did you manage to get your Lunasurf wetsuit wet yet? I’m interested in a review
Chrisisted

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:29 am

Chrisisted wrote:
ATTMFKH wrote:just bought a Lunasurf Hooded .................. not got it wet yet, time will tell

Did you manage to get your Lunasurf wetsuit wet yet? I’m interested in a review

HAve I f*ck - jinxed the swell - should get in tomorrow so will give you a review after that
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:23 pm

When you say shit, do you mean there is a brown smear in it?
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:32 am

OK Chrisisted .............. 1st surf with Lunasurf Arcane 5/4 Hooded Wetsuit.

When I spoke to the guys at Luna , I told them I am an XLT in Xcel sizing , they said i would be a Large in their sizing - I know some folk up here have made the mistake on the Luna sizing and ended up with wetsuits that are too big for them - speak to the shop first.

Wetsuit is really light, must weigh half what my Xcel weighs. It has that buttery neoprene feel to it - feels as flexible as a Mick Fanning E-Bomb Pro summer suit I had.

Easy on , no poly bags over the feet to get on & off like Xcel.

Suit was really warm in the water - no water coming in anywhere - tiny wee flush taking a wave on the head/face but this was because I hadn't pulled draw string on hood. Sorted in water & didn't happen again. Really flexible suit in the water.

Negative : only gripe I've got is the chest zip is much smaller than my Xcel and as it is higher up the body nearer your chin, my old eyes struggle to focus so close in - found it a wee bit fiddly but I'm sure 'll get used to it. Bit funky on the colour front - it's black & white - looks like an Orca but I quite like it :-)

I got this suit in their sale for £250 - that's more like what I want to pay for a wetsuit - Xcel prices have gone mental in the last 2 years and I don't want any part of it. Time will tell on the durability of the suit but 1st impressions are all good.

ATTMFKH

Postby Chrisisted » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:25 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:OK Chrisisted .............. 1st surf with Lunasurf Arcane 5/4 Hooded Wetsuit.

When I spoke to the guys at Luna , I told them I am an XLT in Xcel sizing , they said i would be a Large in their sizing - I know some folk up here have made the mistake on the Luna sizing and ended up with wetsuits that are too big for them - speak to the shop first.

Wetsuit is really light, must weigh half what my Xcel weighs. It has that buttery neoprene feel to it - feels as flexible as a Mick Fanning E-Bomb Pro summer suit I had.

Easy on , no poly bags over the feet to get on & off like Xcel.

Suit was really warm in the water - no water coming in anywhere - tiny wee flush taking a wave on the head/face but this was because I hadn't pulled draw string on hood. Sorted in water & didn't happen again. Really flexible suit in the water.

Negative : only gripe I've got is the chest zip is much smaller than my Xcel and as it is higher up the body nearer your chin, my old eyes struggle to focus so close in - found it a wee bit fiddly but I'm sure 'll get used to it. Bit funky on the colour front - it's black & white - looks like an Orca but I quite like it :-)

I got this suit in their sale for £250 - that's more like what I want to pay for a wetsuit - Xcel prices have gone mental in the last 2 years and I don't want any part of it. Time will tell on the durability of the suit but 1st impressions are all good.

Thanks for the review it’s much appreciated I think I will have a look at getting one
Chrisisted

Postby danny1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Xcel 6mm in my size. Tink it s the 4th i have had in 15 years or so...

no need to tighten any part of it.

Works fine.

Too hot if anything.

Have you tried not tightening it?
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Vince Noir » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 am

I got my xcel for 250 quid, reduced from 349. just buy the previous seasons when its on sale. no problems with it, easy to get on and off....only brand ive found that does XLT, fit is great.

i want new boots at the moment, looked at xcel and they are 85 quid now...for a pair of fucking boots. wow.
Vince Noir

Postby mountain man » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:51 am

Yeah well if a suit is half the weight of an Xcel and the neoprene feels "buttery", expect it to last about as long as a pound of butter in the sun. Xcel not the lightest suit but very warm and durable. I get around 4 winters out of a suit and that's surfing 4-5 times a week on average.
mountain man

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:33 am

mountain man wrote:Yeah well if a suit is half the weight of an Xcel and the neoprene feels "buttery", expect it to last about as long as a pound of butter in the sun. Xcel not the lightest suit but very warm and durable. I get around 4 winters out of a suit and that's surfing 4-5 times a week on average.

That would be very long up here ..............it's 'kin Baltic, even in the sun :lol:
ATTMFKH

Postby mountain man » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Yeah fair point. Whats the water temp where you are, here in Pembs it's around 8C which is a bit lower than usual winter temperature due to the cold winter.
mountain man

Postby Vince Noir » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:23 pm

MSW is claiming its 5 C, but im not sure how accurate that is. think im used to it now. you only feel it when the air temp is frigid and the wind is blowing a hoolie
Vince Noir

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:48 am

6.1 C
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 am

Vince Noir wrote:
i want new boots at the moment, looked at xcel and they are 85 quid now...for a pair of fucking boots. wow.

Get Alder Plasma 7mm. Great winter boots.
Chris F

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Chris F wrote:
Vince Noir wrote:

Get Alder Plasma 7mm. Great winter boots.

yeah alder stuff is actually pretty well made
Vince Noir

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:19 pm

Mine are about 6 years old though, just check the new design isn't cheap and / or crap.
Chris F

Postby mountain man » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:23 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:6.1 C

That's cold.
mountain man

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:58 am

Chris F wrote:Mine are about 6 years old though, just check the new design isn't cheap and / or crap.

I'm back on the Alders after a shite pair of 7mm Xcel infiniti that lasted 18 months.

They don't do the 7mm Plasmas any more - they do some 6mm thing I can't remember - they work fine for me. feet never cold.

My hands were freezing last night though - was a nasty day in the water.
ATTMFKH

Postby Jasedrummer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am

I’ve just bought exactly the same Xcel suit after 7 years in the older version
Mine also leaks too and it’s difficul to tell where - it’s either the shoulder drawstring, the chest zip or through the hood, maybe even all three. Nothing to do with fit - it fits perfectly. It’s a real shame because other than that it is a very good suit and much warmer than the old one when it doesn’t leak in freezing cold water.
I’ve also played around with the tightness of the drawstrings- unless they are ridiculously lose it doesn’t make any difference
Jasedrummer

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:08 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:

I've got the XCEL lobster claws. Pain to get on and off, but great once in the water. I really suffer with cold hands these days, I think from getting frozen hands doing winter climbs and snowports too often.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Chris F wrote:
ATTMFKH wrote:

I've got the XCEL lobster claws. Pain to get on and off, but great once in the water. I really suffer with cold hands these days, I think from getting frozen hands doing winter climbs and snowports too often.

Still got mine in the car - I cannot get the c*nts on or off without real grief - might try again as my hands were cold on Thursday again.
ATTMFKH

Postby mountain man » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:30 am

ATTMFKH wrote:
Chris F wrote:
ATTMFKH wrote:

Still got mine in the car - I cannot get the c*nts on or off without real grief - might try again as my hands were cold on Thursday again.

How is the suit doing?
mountain man

Postby Goat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:31 pm

The cost of Xcel wetsuits defies belief. Every year the prices ramp up and up, while the apparent quality remains the same (or worse it seems from the above posts). I boycott them a while ago for thus very reason.

Current suit is a C Skins Wired, hooded 5/4mm - £201 in the sale. The equivalent Xcel would have been twice that! Does the job admirably and plenty warm/supple/flexible enough.

Current summer suit is a 4/3mm billabong tribong. Middling quality but again, perfectly decent warmth and flexibility. Pretty sure that onlu.set me back £143 too.

I just don't understand where the premium you pay for Xcel goes!
Goat

Next

Return to General