scam warning on secondhand boards.com

Chuck a free advert in here for your old board, van, wetsuit or anything else and reach over 6500 registered surfers.

scam warning on secondhand boards.com

Postby lecky94 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:43 pm

Just got an email re my empire board from a lisa m beeley? from secondhand boards? very sus..said it was a suprise presant for her son and didnt want to know anything about the board. see did want to know location,pp details.. just didnt feel right and i remember her name from gumtree scams. so watch out.
lecky94

Re: scam warning on secondhand boards.com

Postby cuisine » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Just had the same one for my chunk, different wording but straight in the trash.

"Hi,
Good Day, i would like to know if the item is still available for sale? i will be glad if we you can sell it to me,let me know your final selling price and i will also arrange for the pick up,
what is the present condition?

Thanks and May God Bless You.

Lisa."
cuisine

Postby roberdy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Stickied for general notice.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Thank you and God bless you, Roberdy :salute:
Archy_is_God

Postby roberdy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:55 am

Archy_is_God wrote:Thank you and God bless you, Roberdy :salute:

yes well, I'l be changing the email address I use on gumtree now... No more "75" in the middle :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby prjwebb » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:15 pm

I don't understand the logistics of this scam? Pardon my ignorance but how does someone get ripped off by this?
prjwebb

Postby spewing » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:52 pm

prjwebb wrote:I don't understand the logistics of this scam? Pardon my ignorance but how does someone get ripped off by this?

If you only except cash on a face to face collection you will be fine. But the scammer knows that and won't show up.

What they try to do is get you to accept all kinds of different payment types that will just fall through and a courier collects the board from you.
Everything looks sweet until your left with some worthless bit of paper and no board

The scum that pull these scams are clever and are very good and it.
spewing

Postby prjwebb » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:03 pm

I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to send something out before they have cleared funds, but I guess there's people out there.
prjwebb

Postby Chris F » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Apparently Nigerian scams still take £150m from the UK every year. This is a doddle by comparison.
Chris F

Postby well-chilled-out » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:35 am

Feck, you mean I haven't got two Camels arriving for my Skip Frye I sent off last week...The chap appeared so honest & I've always wanted a Camel .....& I've built a hutch for them in the garden...I never thought I'd be hoodwinked !
well-chilled-out

Postby soldiertom » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:12 pm

Same here guys I received an email re my starboard sup last weekend so everyone be on their guard
soldiertom

Postby dogtowatch » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:54 am

a thousand pardons but I am not wanting the Frye Skip any more. I was praying it would be a suitable vessel for the camel fat run off that I am dealing with on a daily basis.Instead you are sending me an idolatrous phallus that has been dealt with as it was upsetting the women folk.
dogtowatch

Postby skin » Mon May 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Had some dodgy looking emails from a SIlvia Aurora silviaaurora01@gmail.com replied to two of my advert with generic "Is the item you have for sale still available?" Then followed up by "Sound good am okay with the price so let me have your paypal email so that i can make the payment and the shipping agent will come for the pick up at you house ok.." Despite asking for pay pal I suspect it's bull. I would avoid.
skin

Return to For Sale