Road Bikes

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Re: Road Bikes

Postby future primitive » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:28 pm

Steviesee wrote:Good work Future!

Check this -

Team Sky bus nearly takes out a cyclist!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/37309613

That was a tad tight,and it wasn't hanging about either
future primitive

Postby Chris F » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:54 pm

So I managed first "marathon" distance roadbike last week, and actually felt OK, surprisingly. Anyone doing Etape Royale? We were thinking about doing 62 mile version, but then decided it;s probably more hassle than it's worth and going to do Cairn O Mount loop at our own pace instead, about 90k from our house.
Chris F

Postby Steviesee » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:05 pm

Chris F wrote:So I managed first "marathon" distance roadbike last week, and actually felt OK, surprisingly. Anyone doing Etape Royale? We were thinking about doing 62 mile version, but then decided it;s probably more hassle than it's worth and going to do Cairn O Mount loop at our own pace instead, about 90k from our house.

Yip, I've just gone and signed up for the 100 mile version, did it last year. Although last year I got knocked before I even crossed the start line. The rear hanger got twisted, so by the time I got it repaired I was the final rider to start about 10'minutes after the last group set off. I didn't see another rider until about 20 miles in. My whole day was spent overtaking slower riders, no drafting - tough day!
Steviesee

Postby Steviesee » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:11 pm

Steviesee wrote:
Chris F wrote:So I managed first "marathon" distance roadbike last week, and actually felt OK, surprisingly. Anyone doing Etape Royale? We were thinking about doing 62 mile version, but then decided it;s probably more hassle than it's worth and going to do Cairn O Mount loop at our own pace instead, about 90k from our house.

Yip, I've just gone and signed up for the 100 mile version, did it last year. Although last year I got knocked off before I even crossed the start line. The rear hanger got twisted, so by the time I got it repaired I was the final rider to start about 10 minutes after the last group set off. I didn't see another rider until about 20 miles in. My whole day was spent overtaking slower riders, no drafting - tough day!
Steviesee

Postby Chris F » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:13 am

Steviesee wrote:

Yip, I've just gone and signed up for the 100 mile version, did it last year. Although last year I got knocked before I even crossed the start line. The rear hanger got twisted, so by the time I got it repaired I was the final rider to start about 10'minutes after the last group set off. I didn't see another rider until about 20 miles in. My whole day was spent overtaking slower riders, no drafting - tough day!

You don't seem to have a great track record with this sort of thing. Good luck. I cycled to Stonehaven on Saturday, did the parkrun, then cycled home via the durris transmitter. Have you cycled up to there? Segment is only 11% climb on tar I've found locally.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Did this a few weeks back

some brutal climbs
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:30 am

What was the actual distance you did?
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:38 pm

103.1km, 5000ft climbing , 4hrs 28 mins, swore I'd never do it again as I was proper wrecked then 24 hours later I'd jump at the chance.
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby mountain man » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:00 am

Ha! It's been a while since I posted on MSW but the news is I too am into road cycling. Always had a mtb but earlier this year realised I was riding 99.9% of time on the road so thought sod it and got a road bike. Cannondale Caad 8. All the lycra shite as well, you can't beat bib shorts!

A very useful source of info for servicing etc and interesting/funny stuff is GCN on youtube. Global Cycling Network.

As for twats on 4 wheels, around here it's tractors on the back roads that are a menace. Steam past at 30MPH dragging a massive trailer inches away from you.
mountain man

Postby Surfy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:29 am

Mountain, get drafting them as they pass you 8) i was at the Ayrshire alps with ATTMFkH as well, the post sportive video thumbnail is me drafting a van up a climb :lol:

Cracking sportive, good cake spread afterwards - the most essential part.
Surfy

Postby Chris F » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:31 am

mountain man wrote: around here it's tractors on the back roads that are a menace. Steam past at 30MPH dragging a massive trailer inches away from you.

I'm getting combine harvesters round us at the moment. And they are usually the opposite way on a narrow single road. Fucks up my segments it does :wink:
Chris F

Postby Steviesee » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:54 am

ATTMFKH wrote:103.1km, 5000ft climbing , 4hrs 28 mins, swore I'd never do it again as I was proper wrecked then 24 hours later I'd jump at the chance.

Well done ATTMFKH! My build is suited for going up hills. Strava's going to be the end of me trying to beat my times on hilly segments. Looking forward to seeing how my times compare going up the Lecht on Sunday...
Not been up to the mast yet Chris, am heading back to Aberdeen when I get out that far. Have to meet for a cycle some weekend, hopefully get a wave too, has to happen soon, such a shit spell for waves :(
Steviesee

Postby Chris F » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:13 pm

Deffo. Message me your number. Vince Noir got in Monday night, said it was OK.
Chris F

Previous

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)