FRACKING in UK

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Re: FRACKING in UK

Postby roberdy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Kamikaze wrote:Nothing is "Safe" all you can do is reduce the risks to an acceptable level, and if they fuck up (a la BP in the gulf) they have to compensate and put right the damage, as BP did in the gulf.

Actually the phrase you are looking for is "as low as reasonably practicable" (or ALARP) in oil and gas it is based on a quantifed risk assessment, if you cannot lower the risk to a level considered reasonably practicable you don't get a license to operate and that level is set by the HSE, based on the Health and Safety at Work Act. Once elements of HASAW are referenced to oil and gas shale developments this will create a standard against which the operators can be tested, that is if they don't exist already, I haven't researched this.

I can say that HSE standards in the UK are more rigorous than those that were applied in the Gulf of Mexico, the situation is changing in the US though, operators are looking at systems similar to Safety Critical Elements (I've been consulting on some of the development work) which will make the industry much safer.

Actually I totally agree with your point about energy security, dependance on Russia is unstable and leaves us somewhat over a barrel, I doubt that Putin would actually switch us off but it is a risk. there are other sources though, there is a new field in the north sea that will provide up to 5% of UK gas demand by 2020, a few years off yet but that is just one of at least three massive finds in the last year or so that are now heading through select phases. What about LNG, we have an LNG terminal in the Forth, another in South Wales, they could import a good percentage of our requirements in the next few years.

The government need to make reasoned decisions on our energy mix, what comes from oil, gas, nuclear, renewables, what comes from imports and where do we get it from. As long as Russian and Caspian gas is cheap we will not pursue domestic, expenses sources.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby defever » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 am

The recent rumour is, Celtique Energie is "planning a proposal" for a drilling permission at another site in Sussex, Fernhurst.

Fernhurst is about 40 miles east of Balcombe and is between Guildford and Chichester (both 20miles north and south, respectively). Nearby there are nice towns (well Fernhurst is a nice town too) like Haslemere and Midhurst.

There's already a protest in place even before the energy company makes a decision to plan a proposal or not...!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24194356
defever

Postby Kamikaze » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:43 pm

defever wrote:The recent rumour is, Celtique Energie is "planning a proposal" for a drilling permission at another site in Sussex, Fernhurst.

Fernhurst is about 40 miles east of Balcombe and is between Guildford and Chichester (both 20miles north and south, respectively). Nearby there are nice towns (well Fernhurst is a nice town too) like Haslemere and Midhurst.

There's already a protest in place even before the energy company makes a decision to plan a proposal or not...!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24194356

Well obviously they should only do this kind of things in towns that aren't "nice"
Kamikaze

Postby defever » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:52 pm

oops. I'm becoming slightly and personally involved in this...

AM I TURNING INTO ONE OF "THEM"?!

how far is this from my place... Google map, Google map... ooooh...
defever

Postby Black » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:33 pm

defever wrote:Fernhurst is about 40 miles east of Balcombe and is between Guildford and Chichester (both 20miles north and south, respectively). Nearby there are nice towns (well Fernhurst is a nice town too) like Haslemere and Midhurst.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24194356

Think you mean west of Balcombe!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby defever » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:51 pm

double oops. Yes, the other east... it's Monday.
defever

Postby Poo Stance » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Some more reading for ye.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-10-0 ... as-miracle

Comments seem to have some interesting points too.
Poo Stance

Postby Ferral » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:56 pm

halved taxes on fracking profits what a load of cr@p!!
Ferral

Postby defever » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Hello weeders,

A bit of update on this topic...

I just finished watching another documentary about fracking: FrackNation

Snippets of the documentary can be seen on the director's YouTube channel: Phelim McAleer

Basically this documentary rips Josh Fox's Gasland documentary and picks out all the fallacy and false claim by Josh Fox... some arguments are as convinsing as Gasland.

I am now very confused about this whole hydraulic fracturing business!!

If you are curious or have strong opinions about this issue, I strongly recommend watching Phelim McAleer's FrackNation (if you Google enough I'm sure you'll find a way to watch the whole documentary).

No one will ever find out about the truthful truth about this whole crisis...
defever

Previous

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)