the "what gig have you just been to?" thread!!

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Postby Matteeboy » Fri May 18, 2007 8:09 am

thedeadly wrote:
Matteeboy wrote:...said the middle aged man with long hair... :lol:

a full head of long hair :lol:

Oh well, looks like you missed out on that extra dose of testosterone skinny hippy boy :lol:

This:

or this:

A tough one... :lol: :lol:
Sod the internet. See you in the water.
Matteeboy

Postby daver » Tue May 29, 2007 7:35 am

Alwayzthekook wrote:
daver wrote:Went to see Cinematic Orchestra at the Lemon tree last night. Amazing, got to be in my top ten. Currently doing a UK tour, not to be missed :wink:

I've got some class tunes by them 8) 8) 8) How much of the music came out of the keyboards n gizmos on stage?? Did they have any badass jass musos with them?

Sorry for the late reply, been away :) A fair bit of the sounds came from the keyboard jobby but they kept the whole thing pretty clean. They were all pretty much jazz muso's, the Sax player was superb.Though the drummer was pretty amazing, some pretty complex beats going on there :wink:
daver

Postby Ross » Tue May 29, 2007 8:22 am

went to see the sawdoctors on friday night..not what id usually listen to but ended up a great night or was that just the vast amounts of cider i was drinking :oops: :lol:
Surfings the source man change your life sware to god.
Live to surf..Surf to live!
Ross

Postby sequoiaboard » Wed May 30, 2007 9:31 am

thedeadly wrote:were they tripped out of their faces and pissed on tennents at glastonbury in 1985 with all the mud watching the original band as well :lol:

if you're having a dig at my age perhaps we should have a "receding hairline " competition - baldy :-D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

glasto '85.classic year. did you also catch the pogues that year? superb.

off to glasto as usual soon..............free tickets and a small budget. smug mode 8)
you don't have to be the best to enjoy it as much as the best
sequoiaboard

Postby Snowfun » Wed May 30, 2007 9:43 am

just got tickets for me and few mates to have a nice pimp tastic table over looking the stage at jazz cafe in july to catch a bit of classic jimmy cliff 8)
if its not snow its water
Snowfun

Postby thedeadly » Wed May 30, 2007 9:44 am

sequoiaboard wrote:
thedeadly wrote:were they tripped out of their faces and pissed on tennents at glastonbury in 1985 with all the mud watching the original band as well :lol:

if you're having a dig at my age perhaps we should have a "receding hairline " competition - baldy :-D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

glasto '85.classic year. did you also catch the pogues that year? superb.

off to glasto as usual soon..............free tickets and a small budget. smug mode 8)

didnt see them at glastonbury but saw them in a tiny stage at Hood Fayre on Dartmoor the same year - oh yeah, and Killing Joke at the Elephant Fayre - what an excellent year that was

cant be doing with all these comercial type festivals now - as soon as you put security and health and safety first then the atmosphere disapears - i mean can you sit outside you tent at glastonbury these days and sell "hot knives" at 50p a go when you get a bit skint :lol: :lol:
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby sequoiaboard » Thu May 31, 2007 12:06 pm

50p hot knives.those were the days...............followed by a 50p egg butty, served up by some whippet thin, brew swilling crusty with shit under their finger nails.

we don't do tents. we take our 1931 showmans trailer, towed by our old bedford fire engine. usually at glasto for 9 or 10 days, showcasing our chainsaw carvings.
you don't have to be the best to enjoy it as much as the best
sequoiaboard

Postby johnnyb » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:24 pm

Shy-FX last night, lots of fun :-D
johnnyb

Postby Badfish » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:26 pm

Went to see The (English) Beat a couple of weekends ago. Outstanding.
Badfish

Postby Frosty » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:19 am

Went to see "The Cat Empire" on tuesday in bournemouth, one of the most energetic live bands i have seen in a long time, very very good :-D
Frosty

Postby Ferral » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:17 pm

going to see the beautiful girls at the hub in plymouth tonight never heard them but it should be a laugh ..was a bit disappointed they werent actually girls and it wasnt a strip show tho..
Ferral

Postby thatissognarly » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:13 pm

In London 2moro and sunday, going to see the more assured. they are fucking unreal
thatissognarly

Postby Badfish » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:27 pm

IainF wrote:going to see the beautiful girls at the hub in plymouth tonight never heard them but it should be a laugh ..was a bit disappointed they werent actually girls and it wasnt a strip show tho..

Great band, good blokes too.
Badfish

Postby Matteeboy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:11 am

Saw Raurri Joseph at the Acorn Theatre in Penzance on Saturday - He's supporting Paolo Nutini (sp?) and just been signed by Atlantic Records - AWESOME gig - one of the best I've seen and almost certain he's going to be a pretty major hit on the music scene.
Matteeboy

Postby thatissognarly » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:06 pm

Cajun Dance Party. Best band ive ever seen live. Unreal. Sick. Whatever. Amazing
thatissognarly

Postby Chewbecca » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:51 am

Saw Quantic play at the Koola on friday - awesome mix of styles and beats, one of the best DJ sets I've seen in ages. The volume was a bit too high towards the end though, made my ears hurt and they were still ringing on sunday morning - not good.

Then saw Mark Ronson (& Lily Allen) at Eden last night, they were both wicked, loved Mark Ronson's guest vocalists and the Haggis Horns band. I haven't been to an Eden session before, the setting's amazing, perfect for gigs and the light show using the biomes was fantastic.
Chewbecca

Postby Matteeboy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:55 am

Chewbecca wrote:. I haven't been to an Eden session before, the setting's amazing, perfect for gigs and the light show using the biomes was fantastic.

Agreed - saw Goldfrapp there last year - Amazing venue!
Matteeboy

Postby jason555 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:15 am

Chewbecca wrote:Saw Quantic play at the Koola on friday - awesome mix of styles and beats, one of the best DJ sets I've seen in ages. The volume was a bit too high towards the end though, made my ears hurt and they were still ringing on sunday morning - not good.

Then saw Mark Ronson (& Lily Allen) at Eden last night, they were both wicked, loved Mark Ronson's guest vocalists and the Haggis Horns band. I haven't been to an Eden session before, the setting's amazing, perfect for gigs and the light show using the biomes was fantastic.

stood near you during mark ronson ( mal was wearign red tee shirt ) , i was going to say hi but i was undercover on a black op . Very good night .
jason555

Postby Snowfun » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:18 am

lily allen annoys the feck out of me, little ugly chav with crap chatty rap style talking... only 10 days to jimmy cliff at jazz cafe with nice table n food mmmmm chilled
Snowfun

Postby noah's_arc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 pm

Off to see The Roots at Somerset House in London tonight - sweet!
noah's_arc

Postby Ferral » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:53 pm

That will be awsome!! I love the roots. you lucky bugger!
Ferral

Postby bigfeller » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:58 pm

lily allen annoys the feck out of me, little ugly chav with crap chatty rap style talking... only 10 days to jimmy cliff at jazz cafe with nice table n food mmmmm chilled

I take it she wouldn't sleep with you then, SDC,no? :-D :-D

Anyway, best be careful what you say about her, with her dad being the Sherrif of Nottingham an' all.
bigfeller

Postby Snowfun » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:06 pm

im sure she would, ive had worse :-D just think shes a bit jumped up
Snowfun

Postby Snowfun » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:27 pm

went ot see Jimmy Cliff at jazz cafe in camden, london. had excellent table upstairs right above him...it was best atmosphere and night ive been to gig wise,,the ol dude kicks it! then had beer with normski in bar round corner...as much of a knob as we assumed :lol:

me n jimmy ...( id just had big meal and was leaning back...im not that fat! :lol: )

mate and normski

our table, jimm down below us

Snowfun

Postby Snowfun » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:47 pm

and heres the view from the table 8)
Snowfun

Postby future » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:47 am

just been to Nimes France to see Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire in a roman ampitheatre.
Alll a bit young for me but was organised by a friend and setting was great for a gig.
future

Postby Matteeboy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:55 am

Snowfun - Great venue that Jazz Cafe.
Did a few gigs there when was woz Laarndaners.
Matteeboy

Postby munkee » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:35 pm

Just about to toodle off to the Big Chill, so much many and more amazing artists to see! Whoop yeah!
munkee

Postby Shandy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:58 pm

Won VIP tickets to see Sly and the Family Stone last Saturday. They weren't much cop to be honest...complained all the way through their set about the sound levels of their mic's, and during the 1.5hours that they played Sly was on stage for about 10minutes of it, the crowd was booing at one stage, pretty poor show. The two support acts were fantastic though, with the highlight of the night being Unkle Jam who were entertaining and sounded great. Seemed strange how the support acts had no problems with their sound levels and put on a great performance, and the main act sounded crap and totally lost the support of the crowd.
May go and see Isaac Hayes this week.
Shandy

Postby Snowfun » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:23 pm

Matteeboy wrote:Snowfun - Great venue that Jazz Cafe.
Did a few gigs there when was woz Laarndaners.

you did a few gigs ? i didnt know westwood had played there ? :lol: :-D
Snowfun

PreviousNext

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)