Travel insurance: long trip

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Travel insurance: long trip

Postby Powl2 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:27 pm

Last minute job (as always). Anyone got any recommendations? Been searching around, most of the annual policies have a maximum single trip of 30 or 60 days. I'm going to be away for 90 days in the first instance, then a further 60 days. South Africa and Indo.

Any other issues to think of? Accidents in the water are generally included it seems; surfing doesn't qualify as a seperate 'dangerous sports' category for most I've had in the past.

Yes I am a lazy, disorganised, twat.
Powl2

Re: Travel insurance: long trip

Postby Powl2 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:09 pm

Sorted. Totally useless post probably but went with co called preferential cos they were cheap and had a £200 single item limit rather than standard £150. Riveting stuff.
Powl2

Postby rodent » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:03 pm

Think for surfing accidents you should be already covered by your health insurance

That is if you have any :lol:
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby Powl2 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:27 am

Nice one mate, think you may have out pointlessed an already pointless thread :lol:
Powl2

Postby Davo11 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:07 pm

I've been checking out a few policies and STA and Trailfinders seem to be good - focussing on the big stuff that might really get you out of the sh!t.. like prison or a shitty foreign hospital - but they are pretty pricey.

Surfing seems to be covered as standard by most policies as it appears not to be classed as a dangerous activity.. questionable.. but I guess they've got super nerds looking at the stats.

Has anyone really had to test either of these policies - short of pranking the emergency numbers they provide and trying to guage whether the person on the other end is coherent and would be able to help in a sticky situation, you've no idea untill you are in the sh!t :shock:

Please no, stories about having to pay £50 when your camera got nicked.. i mean have you seriously been in it and they've stitched you up?
Davo11

Postby village-idiot » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:16 am

BMC insurance is totally reliable:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/Pages.aspx?page=17

I think you can get it now to cover medical & evac only if you aren't concerned with the usual luggage / flight cancellation insurance pish.
village-idiot

Postby rodent » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:43 pm

Had a five week surfing trip to Peru cut short :lol:

Sliced the heel of my foot completely open with one of my fins and bruised the top of the foot to the bone :shock:

Was covered by my normal health insurance ( with a add on 49€ a year 6 week max trip standard travel insurance)

Flew me home first class to get proper treatment for the foot :-D
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby loqemima » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:30 am

Travel insurance policies vary, but typically can cover an array of unexpected surprises like flight cancellations, lost baggage, medical costs and medical evacuations, for a single trip or multiple trips during the year, a travel insurance company, though he added that the length of coverage usually cannot exceed 90 days. Travel health insurance focuses on medical coverage for an extended period of time when traveling out of the country. In blog post “Health Advice from the Frugal Traveler’s Doctor”, Matt Gross, who spends most of his time hopping the globe, got this advice from his doctor: examine travel health insurance policies carefully.
loqemima

Return to Surf Travel