cheap decent car hire morocco

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

cheap decent car hire morocco

Postby baj » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:59 pm

Looking for a car for 3 guys, pick up from Agadoo airport, cheapest I found so far is £185 for a week including the damage waiver which seems expensive after paying £95 for a week in Fuerte

Any help very gratefully received :-)
baj

Re: cheap decent car hire morocco

Postby redhighway » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi, don't know if this helps but I'll tell you everything I can. First, where abouts in Morocco are you staying. I was in Taghazout and if you're staying there you don't really need a car if you're only going for a week. There are so many top class breaks within walking distance of Taghazout. It only takes about 20 mins to walk to Anchors from Taghazout with a board under your arm and even less coming back as you'll probably be getting back out at one of the bays you passed on the walk there. When you get to the airport you are going to get bombarded with taxi drivers that will take you to wherever you want to go. Do not take the first one you see, barter, barter, barter! I got robbed on the way to the resort but on the way back I shared a cab with 3 others and got it down to 100 d's ,(about £8). Second, take ratchet straps long enough to go around 3 boards. Most taxi drivers have them but not all.Third, the more people they have in a cab the cheaper it becomes and I often found myself sharing with moroccan familys and paying peanuts. Lastly, there are always people driving from the resort to different spots and I just bunged a little fuel money their way or bought them lunch and was driven as far north as Imsouane. I realize that all this is O.K if you're staying in Taghazout, if you're staying in Agadir then my heart goes out to you, you picked the wrong base. I was there in November and anything else I can help with just ask, let me know when you are going because I know some guys going soon and I might go back myself. james.willis22@btinternet.com or text me on 07716683217 peace http://wightsurfhistory.co.uk/morocco-by-jim-willis/
redhighway

Postby Murtle's magic board » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:14 pm

What is the best break for a beginner/ intermediate... or the best place to stay if you don't want to drive... cheers h.

PS good blog
Murtle's magic board

Postby redhighway » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 am

Hi, I've posted some info on other bits on this site but 100% stay in taghazout and it's a 2 minute walk to the main beach at Croco which is about as beginner friendly as it's going to get. A lot depends also on which accomodation you're going to go for. Have you booked any yet or are you going to find it when you get there? You will also need to get to the resort which is quite some way from the airport but some of the places you stay do a tie in with the taxi firms. Imsouane is also another option because if it gets big you have the shelter of the harbour and if it's small you can surf outside the harbour. If you need any more help just ask away on here or my e.mail james.willis22@btinternet.com
redhighway

Postby Jenkins » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:51 pm

baj wrote:Looking for a car for 3 guys, pick up from Agadoo airport, cheapest I found so far is £185 for a week including the damage waiver which seems expensive after paying £95 for a week in Fuerte

Any help very gratefully received :-)

Did you find anything better than 185 mate ?
Jenkins

Postby baj » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Hey thanks for all the advice much appreciated :-) staying in a villa on Anchor Point, so not all that close to the hustle'n bustle

Haven't found anything cheaper yet dude, any pearls??
baj

Postby redhighway » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:09 pm

If you are staying at the point you shouldn't need one, you're in walking distance of so many quality points, enjoyyyyyyy
redhighway

Postby Jenkins » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:16 pm

redhighway wrote:If you are staying at the point you shouldn't need one, you're in walking distance of so many quality points, enjoyyyyyyy

How is it there though ? Would you say the waves are spoilt by the crowds ?
Jenkins

Postby jesster » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:50 pm

When it's on, it does get busy at Anchors. But if he's staying on the point then he has a slight advantage as far as the good old dawny is concerned. Check surf (sit up in bed), get in sea (walk over rocks and plop in ocean) surf, come back for breakfast, watch crowds arrive. That's pretty much it when you stay at Anchor Point!

There's also Mysteries point and beach a tiny walk away and Hash Point a bit closer to Taghazout, in front of Surf Maroc. These tend to be less busy than Anchors but Mysteries point can be just as fun I reckon. A little left can pop up at Anchors too, depending on tide.
jesster

Postby redhighway » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 am

It can get crowded when it's small because a lot of people don't want to take it on when it's big but they're desperate to say they've surfed Anchors so they wait till it's tiny then ram the place. But if it's big you can surf the break just inside of Anchors which is actually where you are staying because right on the point it's nothing but ruins. But hey, like I said, you are in walking distance of so many breaks. I walked from Taghazout to Anchors lots, takes about 20 minutes with a board under your arm, you just have to remember which rock you left your flips flops under. And you've got to get from the airport to where you are staying. If the place you are staying at arranged then I'd love to know what they charged you. Most of the places that rent to surfers rip you off on the price of the taxi because they're working with the taxi drivers. There's some great videos on vimeo that give you an insight to the kind of waves, would you like me to paste a link to some of them?
redhighway

Postby Jenkins » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:19 pm

Yes mate, a few links would be lovely! I've actually booked and paid for my flight and accom now. Going last week of feb, for 2 weeks. May hire a car in week 2 but see how it goes... Cheers!
Jenkins

Postby redhighway » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:42 pm

as requested but just type surfing morocco into the vimeo search and trawl through them, let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you.
http://vimeo.com/16536326
http://vimeo.com/3949784
http://vimeo.com/17701968
http://vimeo.com/31378835
http://vimeo.com/20201512

p.s, change all your money into local currency at the airport and keep the receipt. Everything else is next to useless. I took trav cheques and they wouldn't change them, not even at the airport. There are NO banks or atm's in Taghazout. This means that if you need to change money up while you are there you will waste valuable surf/liesure time trying to get back to Agadir for a bank of Banana village for an a.t.m. If you have currency left over at the end of your stay the place you changed it at in the airport WILL NOT change it back without the reciept. I met an Irishman that had to go home with £300 worth of local currency! Also, who are you flying with and have you paid for your boards yet?
redhighway

Postby baj » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:26 am

Productivity will be low in work today watching those vids! Flying with Easyjet from Gatwick on 4th Feb, of was planning to hire a board out there but borrowing a coffin bag now and taking a longboard + quad fish (I'm not a BIG wave man but like points!) Booking the bag on tonight and probably a VW Polo I've seen for £165 for the week as I'm thinking if Anchor is huge I may have to drive to find some shelter!
baj

Postby skillsguiding » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:59 pm

If Anchors massive, which it probably wont be, just take a walk down to Panorama's at the south of the village. Personally if your staying in the village i wouldnt bother with a car.

Ask the companies in the village if they have clients that week, sometimes you can tag along on there transfers.

I hired a Shitroen van, for around that £200 for the 14 days in the airport from a sketchy little counter. It had no fuel, sort of locked, sort of steered in the right direction. Did about 600km's to around 20d so all good :-)
http://skills-guiding.co.uk/
South Wales Premier Mountain Bike skills and guiding service
skillsguiding

Postby Jenkins » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Cheers redhighway! http://vimeo.com/31378835 was particularly good! Thanks for that tip on the cash situation and changing it back! Not sure if i want a pile of cash in the appartment but i'll figure something. Whats the average price of an evening meal out there, if you eat out ?

Yeh im flying with norweigan airlines, as im flying from Stockholm. Im from Wales (gower), living over in stockholm. The whole logistic of getting my boards out there is a nightmare. Im not sure if they take boards and i dont think im even taking my own boards. I saw companies such as surf maroc have fairly decent hire boards. Do you know... Is it possible to rent them if you dont stay with them ? Really hope i don't end up having to settle for a dog of a board....

BAJ - When are you going to be there ? And if you dont mind me asking... where are you getting that car from? (i know im a lazy bastard).

Skills- Seems like you had the right idea, I'll probably just end up winging it as i normally do. Rock up and see what i find..
Jenkins

Postby redhighway » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Yeah, I felt the same way about having cash but by about day 3 I was leaving it laying around all over the place, along with my camera and passport. I was staying at surf maroc's l'auberge and never heard of anyone getting anything pinched. All the locals I met seem really trustworthy but you never know I suppose. l'auberge is by far the best place to eat and I never paid more than about £3.50 for a meal. The fish tagine had enough fresh Tuna in it to cost £20 in this country. You get bread and olives with every meal there as well so don't over order because by the time your food comes you'll probably have eaten the best part of a baguette. Mint tea there is superb and costs about 80p. They also have wi-fi there if you're taking a laptop. If you are going to go down the route of not taking cash and having to make time consuming missions to the a.t.m or bank, sit in the square at taghazout abd barter your pants off for a cab ride to it. Mine started at £8 each for myself and my friend to get to agadir but after ten minutes we got it down to £2 each but had to share with a local. Ask away if there's anything else. Oh yeah, the boards. Not sure about surfmaroc but there are lots of places that do. I think a lot of them use Take Off boards, depends what you usually ride. E.mail surf maroc and ask, the guys name is Ben
redhighway

Postby baj » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:27 am

if you google rent a wreck then search agadir airport etc.. the Polo is £130 + £35 excess waiver..

we're there 4-11th Feb so i'll let you know if i come across anything not already mentioned 8) as i think you said you were there at the end Feb?

seriously considering not getting a car now, there are 6 of us going and one of the guys has already booked a Dacia Logan(?!) for the week.. think i might check the forecasts nearer the time and make a call on it then.. I do like the idea of exploration but I've never been to the area before, so it will all be new to me anyway and I don't like to think of a car sat redundant most of a week if we're getting fleeced that much for it! equally we might end up driving around when the breaks within 5mins of the apartment could be good anyway, might be nice to get away from crowds though.. play it by ear i reckon

can't bloody wait now though, looking at the forecast for Sunday/Monday and the temp is -1, -2!! 3weeks tomorrow I reckon I'll be in a full length summer suit at the worst !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
baj

Postby redhighway » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Wow, what a difference a day makes. Just booked another trip out and leaving next saturday, (much to the chargrin of my long suffering partner) so I'll let you know if there's a cheaper transport alternative. When I was there a couple of months ago I think there was a place renting scooters with surfboard racks. You can always pay for a day out with one of the surf camps, it was about £20 when I was there last and they threw lunch in but I didn't bother because there was so many waves around the area. Car rental is far toooo expensive there, I don't think you'd spend that much if you got a taxi somewhere everyday, depending on how long you're going for of course. Baj-4th of Feb, cool, it's the birthday of the prophet Mo so there should be quite a party vibe going on!
redhighway

Postby Jenkins » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Baj- Yeh i'm going at the last week of feb. Have a good time out there mate and please let me know if you've got any good advice. I think you got the right idea about not booking the car straight up. Just see how it goes like. That what i'll be doing. The scooters option sounds fun. Bring on the warm weather! I left wales and im in stockholm now. FREEZING. I've got my 2 mil short arm, long leg suit. Its a good suit so hopefully that will do the job.

Redhighway- i was seriously considering would it just be cheaper to take taxis.... Im sure i read earlier in this thread if you bargin, it is possible to go to Agadir for like 2 pounds each in a full taxi. Please (if you get a chance) let me know this is possible.

I 'maned up' yesterday and dragged my boards to stockholm. So i don't have to worry about renting now. Couldn't deal with the hassle of renting. Just hope they dont rip me off and smash my boards to moroc now.
Jenkins

Postby Jenkins » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:23 pm

redhighway wrote:Wow, what a difference a day makes. Just booked another trip out and leaving next saturday,

Are you back yet mate ? how was it ?
Jenkins

Postby redhighway » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi, yeah just got back and it was brilliant, regardless of what the swell forecast said. Had a couple of biggish days and some more managable ones. Strangely enough though, after all my talk of being in walking distance of all the breaks, the Taghazout area never broke and we had to do a bit of travelling around to find the waves. So here goes. I'll start with the airport, the place is sown up by the taxi drivers and there are now fixed prices printed on signs everywhere. It is 300d's and 20 for boards which is £25. It's a lot of money if you're on your own but split between 2 or 3 it's not so bad. Once I was at the resort I bumped into a friend from the last trip and he had a car so he drove us around quite a bit but a couple of times I took the bus, do it, it's cheap, easy and quite an experience. Taghazout to Tamri is 8d's, about 55p and you can jump of at any spots along the way as we did when we saw Boilers firing. It's also only 7d's if you go back the other way to Agadir and jump off at any of the spots on route, Devils rock, Bananas, etc etc. There is always going to be an issue with what to do with your stuff so I took a small plastic bag, rolled some small notes up in and put it in my leash so if all else failed and they stole my boardbag I could still get back to Taghazout. Most of the spots have gangs of youths that chagre to park there and it's often easier to just give them 10d's to keep an eye on your gear. That said, don't take anything you're not prepared to lose. I never had anything stolen though. I did ask about car hire while I was there and the cheapest I could get it down to was 200d's a day but you had to take a minimum of 3 days. If you still want to do this then go to Atlantic surf shop and see Spotty, tell him you're a friend of Trev and Josh and he'll help you out. He's one of the most genuine guys I've ever met. On the way back to the airport you should be able to get it much cheaper, ask about, we paid 100d's, about £8 each on the way back. I did see one of thoses scooters there with the board rack but I was told it's nearly as exspensive as a car. If you do get a car try heading south to Tifnit for a surf, the place is unbeleivable, one of the best breaks I've ever surfed and quiet, no surf shops, no bullshit, no locals, no electric yet, score before it arrives!
redhighway

Postby chris05 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks for posting redhighway. Good to know about the taxi's in advance.
chris05

Postby redhighway » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:09 am

Hi, no problem. One more thing, we did hitch lifts a few time, yes even with a 6ft surfboard under each of our arms, and we got lifts every time! Surfers, locals, even old bangers that were running a kind of black market taxi thing and you just give them what you can,
redhighway

Postby chris05 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:04 pm

Sounds good, just need the charts to improve in the next week and a half!
chris05

Postby Jenkins » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:34 pm

Hey redhighway, Glad to hear your trip worked out well. I will write that spot down that you mentioned and try and check it out at some point. Sounds like my sort of thing. Im more than happy to journey a little extra or take less quality wave to surf with less people. Also thanks for the tip on car hire, if the forecast is good swell then i guess i can surf locally but i will hit up old 'spotty' if needs be.

How warm was it by the way ? Take any cheeky surf pics ? One more question: You said there is gangs hanging around the car parks at the breaks etc.. If I leave my blonde swedish misses on the rocks to take a few pictures.... Is she going to be hasseled ? haha (i think i already know the answer). Oh well.. Im off in just over 2 weeks now :) Cheers matey
Jenkins

Postby Jenkins » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:43 pm

One more thing, sorry. Did you notice if there is any bus trips running to Marrekesh from Tagazougte ? Its about 200/250 km away right ?
Jenkins

Postby dalejenga » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Just got back from a week with me and a mate (17 and 18 respectively). Surf was small all week, and to be honest we needed a car but couldnt afford it/justify it (minimum 3 days). Walked to killers a couple mornings and scored once but nothing worse than walking there (30mins) and it being shit. we then tried hitch hiking to boilers with no luck! We hired 2 peds on one day ( 1 each) and then 1 for 1/2 a day to get to boilers (f*cking trek on a ped, especially with 2 people and 2 boards on it!) haha. Ped is 180dhm with racks for one day which is steep to be honest, but it was good fun and I was reasonably OK with the mental drivers over taking as I ride a motorbike in the UK.

It all depends on the surf. If there's shitloads of swell about youll be fine with the breaks around taghazout if you dont mind a shortish walk, but if like us, the swell isnt gonna be over 5ft (we still scored anchors pretty good with one other guy out) I'd rent a car and go as far north/south as you can.

cheers :)
I think i biller'd the bong last week :)
dalejenga

Postby redhighway » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Ah man, that is steep for a scooter, sorry to hear you didn't find waves but even though it was flat around Taghazout while I was there we still found some awesome waves, just had to do what you said, head north or south a little. If you don't mind getting a bus then you'll score, Tamri pretty much always has a wave but if you can head south to Tifnit then you will be blessed. The locals shouldn't bother your girlfriend too much because the place is full of young woman.
redhighway

Postby redhighway » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Forgot to mention Marrakech, I've never made the trip myself but the guy I went with said he's done it and it takes about 3 hours, not sure on the price though. I'll post some pics up as soon as and you'll see what I mean about the other spots that are pumping and only about 45 minutes away from where it's flat. If you've gone 3ooo miles for waves then another 45 mins is well worth the effort, where do I post the pics?
redhighway

Postby Jenkins » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:26 am

Dalejenga- sorry you were skunked for waves mate. The ped sounds pretty fun tho. 180dhm is like 18 quid right ? I dont think its so bad if you do it for just a bit of fun one day. But yeh do that everyday and its shit compared to a car price wise.

I will deffo try to go travel up and down the coast a little bit. I looked up tifnit. Seems about 30 km south of agadir.I have a lonely planet and it didnt say anything really. I'll just rock up and see how it goes. As for Marakesh, I think it will be really good to do something else but surfing. Got to keep the misses happy too. She likes to surf but i think after 2 weeks she'll be surfed out.

Dont you have a blog redhighway? Im sure it was yours I looked at before ? I really enjoyed reading it and thought you had some decent waves that time. Throw some photos on if you get a chance ! :-D Im curious to see it because you said the forecast was 'average' and id like to see what waves an average forcast produces. And i just like to look at right hand point breaks and generally sexy waves.
Jenkins

Next

Return to Surf Travel