Never too late.

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Never too late.

Postby Paul C » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Found this an interesting read. Ideal for anyone thinking of taking up surfing late in life and although it says mainly 30s & 40s, I didn't start until I was 55 and am still surfing at 61 so it's never too late, just do what you can and enjoy it because for most people who surf it's not competitive.

http://surfcoaches.com/learning-surf-30s-40s-late/
Paul C

Re: Never too late.

Postby dermo909 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:05 pm

I was 32 when I started(4 years ago) and its a fantastic way to keep fit. Some days you don't even notice that you are exercising!
dermo909

Postby Black » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:45 pm

Would be nice to hear some personal (& honest) stories about why you would be possessed to take up surfing in later life..........

I often think its the last thing I would do at my age if I hadn't already been doing it.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Paul C » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Black wrote:Would be nice to hear some personal (& honest) stories about why you would be possessed to take up surfing in later life..........

I often think its the last thing I would do at my age if I hadn't already been doing it.

Thought about it in my younger days but back then there wasn't nowhere near as many surfers as there are now and not easy if you didn't know anyone who surfed and to my knowledge, although I might be wrong, I don't think there were any surf schools back then.
As I didn't go to Newquay much in those days I only saw the odd one or two surfing at Gwithian occasionally.
I did mention where I worked once that I would like to try it but back then in the Camborne area there were a lot of old fashioned pessamists who said (Cornish accent) ''What ee wunt do that far, you cen't do that, you'll look daft out there, people on the beach be laughing at ee''. There were some miserable assholes in those days.
Many years later, one day I thought about it again but still didn't know anyone who surfed. I saw something on TV about a surf school with lessons on the sand before going in the water, I think it was Newquay and I thought, 'I could try that, what have I got to lose!' It crossed my mind again a couple of nights later when I was having a glass or two of Jack Daniels and listening to a CD by The Beach Boys (older readers would understand) so I looked up surf schools on the internet and found one in Newquay which I contacted and asked them if I am too old at 55 and how good a swimmer would I have to be and they said ''No way are you too old and at the beginning stages you only need to be waist deep.'' Following that I went over to Newquay and had my first lesson which I couldn't even stand up on the foamie. I went with them again a couple more times and then I splashed out on my own board and wetsuit and have gone from there and never looked back.
Those pessamist assholes are long dead now but if only they could see me catching waves today.
I intend to keep surfing for as long as I can, hopefully many years yet, might only get so far with it but I enjoy what I do.
Paul C

Postby Black » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:34 pm

Paul C wrote:Thought about it in my younger days but back then there wasn't nowhere near as many surfers as there are now and not easy if you didn't know anyone who surfed and to my knowledge, although I might be wrong, I don't think there were any surf schools back then.
As I didn't go to Newquay much in those days I only saw the odd one or two surfing at Gwithian occasionally.
I did mention where I worked once that I would like to try it but back then in the Camborne area there were a lot of old fashioned pessamists who said (Cornish accent) ''What ee wunt do that far, you cen't do that, you'll look daft out there, people on the beach be laughing at ee''. There were some miserable assholes in those days.
Many years later, one day I thought about it again but still didn't know anyone who surfed. I saw something on TV about a surf school with lessons on the sand before going in the water, I think it was Newquay and I thought, 'I could try that, what have I got to lose!' It crossed my mind again a couple of nights later when I was having a glass or two of Jack Daniels and listening to a CD by The Beach Boys (older readers would understand) so I looked up surf schools on the internet and found one in Newquay which I contacted and asked them if I am too old at 55 and how good a swimmer would I have to be and they said ''No way are you too old and at the beginning stages you only need to be waist deep.'' Following that I went over to Newquay and had my first lesson which I couldn't even stand up on the foamie. I went with them again a couple more times and then I splashed out on my own board and wetsuit and have gone from there and never looked back.
Those pessamist assholes are long dead now but if only they could see me catching waves today.
I intend to keep surfing for as long as I can, hopefully many years yet, might only get so far with it but I enjoy what I do.
Good for you! So you had the inclination all the time but it never actualised until you were 55. Also shows how a few negative words can derail enthusiasm but who can say if you would still be surfing now if you'd started back then? Some months back I met an "older" chap who used to be a competition surfer and he was just starting to get back into it again, so something must have sparked a bit of enthusiasm back into him. Thanks for the reply Paul C.
Black

Postby Paul C » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Black,
In the long run I can thank Brian Wilson. 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLgWbH-qhVo
Paul C

Postby Black » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:38 pm

And this is the scene you missed the first time round.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsjcyKQpMKk
Black

Postby Philchapman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:20 pm

It's never too late to 'dig that groovy scene daddy-oh'... check the guy on the left at 1.08

Classic moves! I'll take that over X-Fuctor any time.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby zboy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Midlife crisis :mrgreen:
zboy

Postby zboy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Midlife crisis :mrgreen:
zboy

Postby Black » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:03 pm

zboy wrote:Midlife crisis :mrgreen:

Or to put a positive spin on it - Thanks to mid-life crisis! :-)
Black

Postby JayP » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Midlife crisis - what a bullshit term that is.
"Oh he's started surfing. ... he's having a mid life crisis."
"Oh he's dating a hot younger woman ........."
"Oh he's gone travelling for 6 months . ......"

What ever !!!

Mid life crisis - a term invented by women about men who have just decided to have a bit of fun instead of just working their balls off ffs!!!!
JayP

Postby Philchapman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:04 pm

:lol: Truth! Well said JayP!
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby JJGreenberg » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:13 pm

Black wrote:Would be nice to hear some personal (& honest) stories about why you would be possessed to take up surfing in later life..........

Hi guys n' gals...my first post. I'm 48 and a complete noob. I live in a tiny town in western Canada called Tofino. I just started surfing a month ago when my wife, out of nowhere, rented a couple surfboards and wetsuits and we took a few days off at the beach with our 6 year old daughter. I didn't think much of it at the time. At first I just played with my daughter in the surf and pushed her around the waves. She had an amazing time. Then my wife took over that and I tried to surf. Within about 10 minutes it hit me...I became completely absorbed by it. I started dreaming of swells at night and can't get it out of my head. I've since changed my lifestyle (became a health nut) and surf whenever I can. Surfing is the next phase of my life and I could'nt be happier right now.

Cheers to all!
JJGreenberg

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:34 pm

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: ^^

One of the lads off here is over in VI - think he is in Victoria but goes up your way - his username on here is Swiggy
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby JayP » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:46 pm

JJGreenberg wrote:

Hi guys n' gals...my first post. I'm 48 and a complete noob. I live in a tiny town in western Canada called Tofino. I just started surfing a month ago when my wife, out of nowhere, rented a couple surfboards and wetsuits and we took a few days off at the beach with our 6 year old daughter. I didn't think much of it at the time. At first I just played with my daughter in the surf and pushed her around the waves. She had an amazing time. Then my wife took over that and I tried to surf. Within about 10 minutes it hit me...I became completely absorbed by it. I started dreaming of swells at night and can't get it out of my head. I've since changed my lifestyle (became a health nut) and surf whenever I can. Surfing is the next phase of my life and I could'nt be happier right now.

Cheers to all!

Great first post Mr Greenberg! Unfortunately the forum is rather quiet these days what with these new fangled websites like Facebook taking over! :wink:

I started surfing about 15 years ago now - (I'm 45) - never really thought anything about the "too old" thing. Was dragged down by some mates on a bit of a boys jolly weekend. Got hooked. Didn't think anything about age. Its fun isn't it? If you're having fun what does it matter what others think?

A couple of months ago I also got a carver skateboard (wicked things btw if you want to improve your surfing) and started messing about on it in the park over the road. 2 months later I can't get off the thing. Love it - great for fitness and for surf muscle memory. One of my neighbours (about my age) came out the other day and said to me "We've seen you bombing around on that thing. What are you doing? Trying to relive your youth?" :roll: I said "No, I never stopped living my youth!" :lol: Just because society says 'Work, watch tv and wait to die' doesn't mean you have to!!!!
JayP

Postby Oldie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi all, i am new here, so thank you for your patience...

I am a beginner at the age of 49 because my daughter started doing it. I Have been a windsurfer for 30 years and when my daughter got crazy about surfing, i decided to use this to spend more quality time with her during our vacations or long weekends.

We live in Germany, so our hometurf is the less than ideal North Sea with mostly short period windswells, but we also spend 1-2 vacations per year on the Atlantic coast in Spain, France and SE England.

I have accepted that with the limited time on a board of max 15-20 days per year i probably never will be a very good surfer, but it is great fun anyway and a good additional incentive to stay fit.

So now a am looking for a new board, but will ask some questions in another thread.

cheers, Lars
Oldie

Postby Rfn3010 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:56 pm

I'm 42 and just started Sunday wish u did it years ago!!!!
Rfn3010

Postby Bobby Nguyen » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:05 pm

I get pucnhed at a place call Moss Landing in California. They say I was too old to be out and in the way of the local guy. I like how you guy start surfing as old man. It good for your life.
Bobby Nguyen

Return to Learn to Surf