Canaries locations? Happy families and good longboard waves?

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Canaries locations? Happy families and good longboard waves?

Postby chyvan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Planning end of October family holiday in some sun. Reckon I can steer the choice to Canaries through Jedi mind tricks!

Any suggestions for good longboard waves? Can then try to find accommodation nearby! Thanks!
chyvan

Re: Canaries locations? Happy families and good longboard wa

Postby thechimp » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:27 pm

Interesting to note the number of zero replies on the Travel page, must be a bit of apathy and maybe most destinations are well documented, after 40+ trips to the Canaries, i would rule out Gran Canaria and Tenerife, Lanza is ok, but you would have to drive from the family friendly resorts. Jameos del agua is a good longboard left on the east coast and San Juan on the north. I think your best bet is stay in Corralejo on Fuerte, now a big resort, best waves are on the track, Hierro and Yarro, good longboard waves, and you may get some waves in town, and if you get a big northerly spot Y could be on. Just get in early and try to avoid the inevitable 'run ins' with some spanish 'so called' locals. Plenty of Exeter and Bristol flights.
thechimp

Postby chyvan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks Chimp - was starting to feel ignored!
Really appreciate your advice. I know there's info out there about Canaries spots, but most seems to relate to fast, hollow reefs - I prefer a more mellow ride ideally! Also trying to link the family / surf aspect...
Cheers for the pointers, given me some good areas to look more closely at.
Take it easy.
chyvan

Postby danny1 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:46 am

Correlecjo mate. 80% of the waves are suitable for long board really ...easy paddle outs, It's gonna be junky so best choice really
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby rodent » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Famara lanzarote at a guess
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby Surf Fuerteventura » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:20 pm

danny1 wrote:Correlecjo mate. 80% of the waves are suitable for long board really ...easy paddle outs, It's gonna be junky so best choice really

listen to danny1, he's been down here!

he knows... right danny?

especially as far as the family aspect is concerned... loads to do for the non-surfing contingent here. just ask a local.

cheers,
Surf Fuerteventura
Surf Fuerteventura

Return to Surf Travel