Hidden at the bottom of the page

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Hidden at the bottom of the page

Postby Perran » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:52 pm

Why is the 'community' button at the bottom of the page on Magicseaweed?

I think it should be at the top of the page?
Next to the 'Store/Photos/Videos/Features'
And shouldnt it be called 'Forum' ?

It seems it is almost hidden at the bottom of the screen in a tiny sized font.
Perhaps this is why its so quiet in here these days? or maybe thats the plan?
Last edited by Perran on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perran

Re: Hidden at the bottom of the page

Postby Philshoz » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:57 pm

SHHHHHHHHH, that's just how we like it!!!!
Philshoz

Postby Paul C » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:46 am

Perran wrote:Why is the 'community' button at the bottom of the page on Magicseaweed?

I think it should be at the top of the page?
Next to the 'Store/Photos/Videos/Features'
And shouldnt it be called 'Forum' ?

It seems it is almost hidden at the bottom of the screen in a tiny sized font.
Perhaps this is why its so quite in here these days? or maybe thats the plan?

If this was Facebook I would click 'LIKE' :wink:
Paul C

Postby Perran » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:01 pm

Maybe one of the Moderators would like to comment?
Perran

Postby Black » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:47 pm

Don't think the mods control the website.
It got put there when there was a constant shitfest and needed hiding out the way.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Perran » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:50 am

Ok, but if you look at the bottom of the home page the 'Community' is not even included in the 'Our Community' section.
Perran

Postby danny1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:42 pm

think this part of the site is hidden because it makes no money, doesnt really lead to any spending of money, doesnt create loyalty...has no value except SEO... also can be embarrassing at times as well as threatent MSW reputation. sound business idea to keep it to small print
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Leven » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:05 pm

danny1 wrote:... also can be embarrassing at times as well as threatent MSW reputation.

I've no idea what you mean....!!!
Leven

Postby JayP » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:36 pm

It's quiet because of shit like fb. I would take a guess most online forums have seen a drop in use since the rise of insta fb twitter LinkedIn pinterest etc etc.

Those of us left posting on here are dinosaurs of a bygone age. One day we will all die off and the forum will become a relic of online antiquity !
JayP

Postby WeAreMemories » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:27 pm

It is a good resource, in terms of online searches. Often something surf obscure I search for on Google brings a result linking to this forum.
WeAreMemories

Postby Black » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:00 pm

WeAreMemories wrote:It is a good resource, in terms of online searches. Often something surf obscure I search for on Google brings a result linking to this forum.

Thats the good thing about forums, the data stays accessible, not dropping out of existence a day later. And you don't have to sign away your mortal soul to post there!
Black

Postby Perran » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:15 am

It seems we like the forum but want to accept that it's just they way it is.
Because it doesn't make money? (I bet it does generate some income, but for arguments sake let's say it doesn't)
Or social media is too popular?
Other forums on different sites are busy and vibrant and do drive opinion and therefore sales.
(I think if surfstich could make an 1% additional sales because of the forum they would)
I'm sure that the forum access could be moved to a better position on the main page, they would get more hits from google search and more traffic?
If moving the forum is something you don't see the point in, I can undersatnd that.
I would be interested to find out what Roberdy has to say about this?
(Just for opinion from someone who works for MSW, as Its been said he can't change anything) I would also like to hear Bens take on things now, post the Surfstich buy out.
Surely deciding that you are a dinosaur is a self fulfilling prophecy? Do not go gentle into the night.
Last edited by Perran on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perran

Postby Chris F » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:50 am

Perran wrote:
Surely deciding that you are a dinosaur is a self for filling prophecy? Do not go gentle into the night.

Especially if you are actually a dinosaur.

Rage rage against the dying of the light.
Chris F

Postby mountain man » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Rage rage against the dying of the light.

This, most definitely.
mountain man

Postby thechimp » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:44 am

The forum is not a good ad for surfstitch,' embarrassing at times'? yep probably right, do you know anyone who has bought a GSI 'Modern' surfboard?
thechimp

Postby Perran » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 am

"If you're trying to persuade people to do something,
or buy something, it seems to me you should use their language,
the language they use every day, the language in which they think." - David Ogilvy

I don't see why you should think this forum is embarrassing to surfstitch?
Have they said its embarrassing? or have you decided that?

Its all advertising isn't it? how many times have I typed Surfstitch now?

If they want to hide it away and they don't like it then perhaps they should just get rid?

I like the idea of changing things if they don't seem right or fighting for what you believe in.
I hate the idea of towing the line and the general apathy which seems rife "because that's how it is"

I don't know who has what 'kind' of surfboard, nor am I worried if it is a 'GSI' or 'home shaped pig' as long as you enjoy what your doing its all good with me.

If anyone is interested in trying to move the forum I suggest 'we try'
Perran

Postby thechimp » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:02 pm

http://www.couriermail.com.au/business/ ... f14cdd6d81

here's one for a start, obviously MSW is doing well, but the parent company? and the ex CEO doing a runner i could go on and on.

There is just something special about ordering a board from your local shaper, not a warehouse full of chinese junk, at least Hayden Cox on his website clearly states his boards are made in 3 different parts of the world and you can choose, and 999 quid for a Surftech Takayama ITP, made in Chonburi what is the mark up on that, including shipping.

I agree with your comment re the general 'apathy', the same has happened to Oz forums, but its not only forums i'm afraid.
thechimp

Postby JayP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Let me ask you guys a personal question - How old are you?

How many kids do you think use the forum (under the age of say 20?) I'd guess not many at all. You can fight all you want to try to keep it going and I'm with you (which is why I'm posting on here) but you have to recognise the decline in use over the last 2 years has been dramatic and thats nothing to do with it being hidden at the bottom of the page. The kids are the future and they are too busy on snapchat twitter and god knows what else to work with a medium like this so you don't get new people signing up. The reason why (I would guess) is because there is no instant response. These kids live online but they don't have time for a forum where you type something then wait a few days to see who's answered. They want it NOW and they want it to be the latest trendy thing! Greedy bastards! :lol:

Maybe if it was all converted into an app you'd have alot more luck? .....And we could all get notifications on our phones every time someone like me adds a dumbass comment! .......god forbid! :roll: :lol:
JayP

Postby Philchapman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Total posts are down 50% since Roy went quiet. ;)

Only joking Roy... miss your wit and wisdom. :D
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Perran » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Im Old.....really really old.
(its just a number though - I am not a dinosaur)

But I still would like to know exactly how the forums on other sites are busy and vibrant?
Possibly because you can find the 'Forum' section easily?

How can you expect anyone to sign up and use a forum if they cant find it?

Regarding the dramatic decline, I think it was about 2 years ago that they moved the 'community' to the bottom of the main page. Or am I completely wrong?

I remember when it moved and you had to really try and find it. It bugged me then.

Or maybe it was only Deadly, Roy and Mattyboy who made it look busy?
I do understand your opinion on how the kids consume their social media. I don't want to be updated every 2 seconds.

I don't want to fight anyone, I was just trying to make a useful suggestion.

If you want this forum to survive then ask not what it can do for the kids, but what you can do to save it?

Haven't you heard? forums are the new Vinyl.
Perran

Postby Philshoz » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Perran wrote:Im Old.....really really old.
(its just a number though - I am not a dinosaur)

How old Perran?

We only want really old on here :wink:
Philshoz

Postby thechimp » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Perran wrote:
I don't see why you should think this forum is embarrassing to surfstitch?
Have they said its embarrassing? or have you decided that?

I think we got sidetracked slightly, i was trying to answer this, the link i posted did'nt work completely, just google 'latest on surfstitch decline' to read this article and more.
It looks like yet another private equity firm will take over, they don't care if a forum exists or not.
I'm not against GSI boards or Surftech or the like, what i'm against is Surfstitch prices, the boards are way overpriced due to the middlemen, (Surfstitch) the prices are near to a custom board, its a pity the UK has'nt got the Surfboard Warehouse or Sideways, which cut out the middlemen and boards (similar quality and some better) for around half the price.
Posts like this, are not exactly a good ad for Surfstitch, thats why since the buy out, its hidden at the bottom.

ps, which forums are vibrant? T6 Sportline owners?
thechimp

Postby Perran » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:47 pm

If you think about anything your interested in, hobbies, activities, books, sports, politics, work, travel, pretty much any topic you will find a community who post regularly and do not have their forum tucked away. (I suppose this depends on your interests and how wide your scope is?)
I do get your point about prices and private equity firms. After all they are designed to create wealth.
(I did look up the 'latest on surfstitch decline') And I can see exactly what your getting at.

Is it fair to decide that surfstitch or the next firm that own MSW it wont be open to any input.
You cant say someone doesn't care without at least finding out if they do care. (unless you have tried?)
Even if the parent company is in trouble, will people within an organisation be receptive?

The power is with the consumer, take your money elsewhere by all means.
However do it whilst telling anyone who will listen why you are doing so.

I don't think its fair to say that forums are just going to die off.
Look at formats from the past that people refuse to let go of and then are cherished because of there own merits

If you want to try make a change try emailing these people directly:

ed@magicseaweed.com
dan@magicseaweed.com
craig@magicseaweed.com

I will even write the email for you so you can copy and paste:

Dear MSW

Please move our forum to a better position on the main page.

Kind regards

your user name

Or perhaps the guy who started this website Ben Freeston still holds some sway, He still contributes articles and has always been very reasonable in the past.

If you don't want to try then let this thread drop of the page.

P.S. Phil - old enough to know better
Perran

Postby WeAreMemories » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Thinking about it, when I used to post more, it was from a PC& keyboard- now I do 95% of my web stuff on my phone. This forum, tho it works, is not phone screen size friendly. Have used 'Tapatalk' for other forums on my phone, which seems to make them more phone user friendly. Could this forum be adapted to run on a Tapatalk platform or similar?! Might make it more appealing.
WeAreMemories

Postby Perran » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:25 pm

I think you have a good point WAM
More and more people want to use their phones and don't have a keyboard and screen in front of them.

Also from the Magic Seaweed site:

We're here to help

Surf forecasting has a learning curve just like riding waves, but you don't need to master your air reverse to get be the one in the know on the latest swells, winds and tides. With a little experience and the articles and videos here you can become your own surf forecast expert and we're here to help.

Contact us by email or better yet hit our Facebook page to talk directly to the programmers and surf forecasters who run MSW with any questions or suggestions. It's your website, built on over a decade of your feedback and experience.
Perran

Postby Black » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Black

Postby ben » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:32 pm

think this part of the site is hidden because it makes no money, doesnt really lead to any spending of money, doesnt create loyalty...has no value except SEO... also can be embarrassing at times as well as threatent MSW reputation. sound business idea to keep it to small print

To be fair swell charts, detailed forecasts or buoy readings are hardly a license to print cash but we keep those going too! We moved it years ago when we redesigned the header with a limited fixed width - figured those that were using it would still get here and most of the new traffic was coming from google anyway. Maybe I misread the future but I assumed forums were going to become more and more a niche sport given how many billions were being invested in social by people who weren't me.

The forum is not a good ad for surfstitch,' embarrassing at times'? yep probably right, do you know anyone who has bought a GSI 'Modern' surfboard?

https://web.archive.org/web/20121214014 ... aweed.com/

We moved the link in 2012 so that has absolutely nothing to do with it. I'm all for a bit of healthy cynicism but even in the evil world of public companies there's no time travel yet (that I've been made aware of). I'm still very much here spending my days trying to build a website that's useful and a company I like working for. You'd be amazed just how little the new owners care about the minutiae of our navigation!

What I can say is it wouldn't exist at all without the tireless efforts of Roberdy moderating it - he'll be happy to confirm exactly how little pressure he's had put on his shoulders by the corporate machine :)
ben
Site Admin

Postby Perran » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:29 am

Ben - that's good to hear.

And good to know your still about and involved in MSW - I for one appreciate all the work that has gone into this site over the years.

Does this mean we will see the forum / community moved back up?

How about moving it back to the top of the page and seeing how it works out?

Black - do we need another poll?

That link was a real trip through time!!
Perran

Postby Black » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:24 pm

Perran wrote:Black - do we need another poll?
No, we need to argue, swear and curse! :P
I do try and generate some talk occasionally but I'm amazed at the surf stuff that never even gets a mention on here. I've been saying for ages we need some young idiots on here too.
Black

Postby Perran » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:02 am

Your right, we do need some new blood.
That won't happen if you can't even find the forum.
Let's get it moved.
Perran

Next

Return to General