A rubbish year for surf?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

A rubbish year for surf?

Postby Goat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:01 am

It definitely feels that in years gone by, the conditions in the South West UK used to be a lot better / more consistent! This year, it has seemed to be almost relentless onshore slop, with clean groundswells very few and far between.

Anyone else found that, or is this just me looking on previous years with rose tinted glasses?!
Goat

Re: A rubbish year for surf?

Postby Black » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Yeah, this winter particularly has been awful so far. Probably my fault for buying a couple of boards this year for the first time in ages.
I was thinking the other day that this last summer was better than now.
Also those up north have stolen the swell, when they have it good for a while it always seems to go shit down here.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby len » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:29 am

live in newquay used to have a surf come out and for an hour watch people surfing . now its just dismal onshore almost ever y day. lot people i know pissed of and moaning how crap it is all the time. although still lucky to live here i suppose.shoundnt moan. glad to hear guys up north getting decent waves.my little winge for the day aah thats better. as the americans say have a nice day.
len

Postby otterr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:54 pm

climate change??! :twisted:
otterr

Postby briggfoot » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:17 pm

otterr wrote:climate change??! :twisted:

I blame Brexit/Trump! :roll:

You're certainly right about the surf being really really terrible,I havn't known anything like it for the end of November!!
One persons loss is another persons gain however and it has been pumping for our Northern brothers!

Kinda great though (after a while when you get 'over' it,) I've got so many jobs cracked that I'd have otherwise put off, and trying to put plenty of time in with the gf/family! And drinking loads of beer, which is fun too.....!
briggfoot

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:14 pm

briggfoot wrote:

You're certainly right about the surf being really really terrible,I havn't known anything like it for the end of November!!
One persons loss is another persons gain however and it has been pumping for our Northern brothers!

Kinda great though (after a while when you get 'over' it,) I've got so many jobs cracked that I'd have otherwise put off, and trying to put plenty of time in with the gf/family! And drinking loads of beer, which is fun too.....!

defintely aint pumping up here with every single north swell passing me by day after day.
Vince Noir

Postby future primitive » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:24 pm

Black wrote:Also those up north have stolen the swell,

We are getting plenty of swell but the surf is not that good that often,usually pretty short period and plenty of pesky onshores that we never used to get that much,you could pretty much bet the wind would 9 times out of 10 go back westerly or south westerly 10 years ago,a few of us older locals were chatting about this a few months ago,and all seemed to agree that the quality of surf has got worse over the last ten years or so
to add to it in Scarborough we had the some new sea defenses done around the Marine drive about 13 years ago ,and with the construction they altered the rocks at one end of the north bay and altered the water flow and it does not seem to produce the good banks like it used to
future primitive

Postby briggfoot » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Rubbish, we all know you're just saying to keep all the cider-guzzling pastie-munchers down South!
briggfoot

Postby majordom » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:26 am

majordom

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Vince Noir wrote:
briggfoot wrote:

defintely aint pumping up here with every single north swell passing me by day after day.

head for the Broch then
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:27 pm

He's still failed to get a bloody car?
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:15 pm

^^ hahaha - Footdee it is then !
ATTMFKH

Postby Vince Noir » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:37 am

ATTMFKH wrote:
head for the Broch then

i dont go left
Vince Noir

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 pm

Vince Noir wrote:
ATTMFKH wrote:
head for the Broch then

i dont go left

Go right then :-)

or Banff
ATTMFKH

Postby Goat » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:04 pm

A temporary turnaround in fortunes today, from Porthcawl Surf report:

"1.45pm Sunday.  We dont usually give an afternoon update - but today deserves one.  6ft, super clean, booming sets coming into Rest Bay.  Wind has dropped and gone offshore. Classsss."

Couldn't make today but got tomorrow off work - looks great in the morning.

Fingers crossed for good waves over Christmas break! :-)
Goat

Postby Voyager » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:41 pm

ain't that the truth..
I live a few miles from Widdy, Summerleaze and Crooklets, so I was in most days from May to Oct....and I can count the "great days" on the fingers of a mitten.
One seriously good day at Black Rock 5', a few on Widdy shorebreaks but that was it.
Voyager

Return to General