Puerto Escondido

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Puerto Escondido

Postby insideout » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:35 pm

Any one been here on a trip?

Probably heading there in Feb for a month, have read online swells are smaller this time of year.

Looked at a surf spot map and seems to be a few more spots within driving distance....

Any thoughts?
insideout

Re: Puerto Escondido

Postby Leven » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:13 pm

Quite touristy there these days, few surf shops etc. Good base to start and then explore from. Will be smaller in Feb than June etc. LOTS of waves in Oaxaca. Dirt cheap buses and most take boards.

One bit of advice...look before you leap. I watched it for about 15 mins one day, it looked solid, but do-able if you stayed out of trouble. Waxing my board I heard what sounded like thunder, looked up, and saw a monster set roll through. I'd been watching the in-between waves, not the set. The set was fucking huge, and they were about 20 minutes apart. I calmly stopped waxing my board, and went and got a beer.
Leven

Postby insideout » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:38 pm

Sounds good.

Everything about the trip seems pretty cheap, flights/Accom/car hire... Just airline board fees that will sting.

Found a few spots further down the coast that look unreal towards Salina Cruz.

How many years ago were you there Leven?
insideout

Postby Leven » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Probably 2011 or 2012 I recon. Much more of a little surf town now.
Leven

Postby insideout » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:40 am

Flights booked, did you make it down to Salina Cruz? Those right handers look epic!
insideout

Return to Surf Travel