Pyzel Phantom or JS Blak Box 2 Wanted

Looking for that special stick? Post an ad in here for things you are after!

Pyzel Phantom or JS Blak Box 2 Wanted

Postby reserves » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:49 pm

Wanted. 6’ 1” or 6’ 2” ideally, or if anyone knows anywhere that has demos.
reserves

Re: Pyzel Phantom or JS Blak Box 2 Wanted

Postby reserves » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:33 pm

Or anyone got anything similar?
reserves

Postby reserves » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:36 am

Oh well, guess have to buy one new
reserves

Postby mils » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Fancy a Phantom myself, or even a Ghost. Seem 2 come up second hand, but gone super quick.
mils

Postby reserves » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Yeah, they look good, probably going to custom order a Phantom in Electralite (their EPS model).

Usually only buy second hand, haven't even seen one in person, oh well...
reserves

Postby mils » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:06 pm

Don know where you live bud, but Ocean Magic near Newquay have a few in stock as do Secret Spot up norf.
I put my hands around a 6’1” Ghost and scared myself!
mils

Postby reserves » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:56 pm

They are made at Ocean Magic :)

Not sure what you mean about the Ghost?
reserves

Postby mils » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:43 pm

I meant that it’s a serious bit of kit, not really the daily driver it’s suggestedto be in the advertising.
mils

Postby Black » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:07 am

mils wrote:I meant that it’s a serious bit of kit, not really the daily driver it’s suggested to be in the advertising.
.... and I thought you were cracking a joke about seeing a ghost! :lol:

BTW I was waiting forever for a used 6'2" JS BB2 to turn up. Sorted myself out with something else in the end.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby reserves » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:55 am

Black wrote:
mils wrote:I meant that it’s a serious bit of kit, not really the daily driver it’s suggested to be in the advertising.
.... and I thought you were cracking a joke about seeing a ghost! :lol:

BTW I was waiting forever for a used 6'2" JS BB2 to turn up. Sorted myself out with something else in the end.

What did you go for in the end?

I’m not obsessed with it being these two. I went on a coaching week andI was recommended by a surf coach to go with a ‘normal’ board, as I’ve been riding Tomo’s A lot, I was riding a Sci Fi which whilst super fun wasn’t letting me get away with much.

Basically I’m after a forgiving board that sits about my groveller, from video analysis sometimes my feet positioning is slightly off, I’m at the stage where I’m trying / improving top turns. Want to still be able to get in early as possible, however I’d like the board to feel exciting under my feet, I have a 6’ 4” Greedy Beaver which is stable enough to catch loads of waves, it’s fun but the Sci Fi felt like a different sport, super fun, but as I said not forgiving enough for me.
reserves

Postby Black » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:50 pm

I bought (for all the reasons you mention above) a 2nd hand Luke Young Cyborg (posted elsewhere on here about it - 5 fin) which came up at a good price so thought I'd give it a go and its turned out great. Allows for re-footing if you've cocked the drop which is about all that happens to me these days. I surf it as a quad all the time, its the "easiest" board I have.
Black

Postby reserves » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Black wrote:I bought (for all the reasons you mention above) a 2nd hand Luke Young Cyborg (posted elsewhere on here about it - 5 fin) which came up at a good price so thought I'd give it a go and its turned out great. Allows for re-footing if you've cocked the drop which is about all that happens to me these days. I surf it as a quad all the time, its the "easiest" board I have.

Sounds like a great find, I saw it on another thread.

Found a shop that has the Pyzel Phantom just around the corner! They had a 6’ 0, looked ace but those rails look so thin, the whole board did really so maybe too advanced for me.

Sold a lot of my quiver recently (Evo, Chumlee & Omni) so today thought I’d grab my Gulfstream Keel Fin which was shaped for me 3 years ago, i’ve never got on with it, only ridden it a handful of times. However today at Putsborough it was magic! Best surf i’ve had in a long long time. Forgot all about turning and bombed it down the line, got in super early, it took some fairly big drops, super fast and buttery smooth!

Sometimes it’s worth changing it up I guess :)
reserves

Postby reserves » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:30 pm

reserves wrote:
Black wrote:I bought (for all the reasons you mention above) a 2nd hand Luke Young Cyborg (posted elsewhere on here about it - 5 fin) which came up at a good price so thought I'd give it a go and its turned out great. Allows for re-footing if you've cocked the drop which is about all that happens to me these days. I surf it as a quad all the time, its the "easiest" board I have.

Sounds like a great find, I saw it on another thread.

Found a shop that has the Pyzel Phantom just around the corner! They had a 6’ 0, looked ace but those rails look so thin, the whole board did really so maybe too advanced for me.

Sold a lot of my quiver recently (Evo, Chumlee & Omni) so today thought I’d grab my Gulfstream Keel Fin which was shaped for me 3 years ago, i’ve never got on with it, only ridden it a handful of times. However today at Putsborough it was magic! Best surf i’ve had in a long long time. Forgot all about turning and bombed it down the line, got in super early, it took some fairly big drops, super fast and buttery smooth!

Sometimes it’s worth changing it up I guess :)

Took the same fish out twice after this, didn’t catch many waves, took loads on the head and felt like a total Kook!

No idea.
reserves

Postby Black » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:39 pm

reserves wrote:Took the same fish out twice after this, didn’t catch many waves, took loads on the head and felt like a total Kook!

No idea.
My recent experience is similar, my two goto boards are not getting me into the waves and even if they do I'm kooking it - considering bodyboarding!
Black

Postby thechimp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:56 pm

Black wrote:
No idea.
My recent experience is similar, my two goto boards are not getting me into the waves and even if they do I'm kooking it - considering bodyboarding![/quote]

You need something like a Pyzel Padillac, around 8', let the 6' and 6'2 's go
thechimp

Postby reserves » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:43 am

thechimp wrote:
Black wrote:
No idea.
My recent experience is similar, my two goto boards are not getting me into the waves and even if they do I'm kooking it - considering bodyboarding!

You need something like a Pyzel Padillac, around 8', let the 6' and 6'2 's go[/quote]

Not sure who that was directed at??
reserves

Postby Black » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:32 am

Me most likely as I'm past it now!
Going to borrow a 7 footer today see what happens...
Black

Postby thechimp » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:45 pm

Black wrote:Me most likely as I'm past it now!

yes, sorry, Mr Black, i just think too many blokes past 50 ish stay govelling on way too short boards, i'm not saying go the longboard route, just scale up a bit, i went to an Al Merrick M13 8', it would still duck dive and had that shortboard feel, i just needed that extra paddle ability and a bit more glide into waves, your never past it, as along as you can still get up in the morning.
thechimp

Postby Black » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:05 am

thechimp wrote:
Black wrote:Me most likely as I'm past it now!

yes, sorry, Mr Black, i just think too many blokes past 50 ish stay govelling on way too short boards, i'm not saying go the longboard route, just scale up a bit, i went to an Al Merrick M13 8', it would still duck dive and had that shortboard feel, i just needed that extra paddle ability and a bit more glide into waves, your never past it, as along as you can still get up in the morning.
Yes sure! I'm convinced I look like an idiot half the time trying to surf the boards I have but the 7 footer didn't go well today either so there's definitely some problem needs sorting, most likely the leg injury I had has a lot to do with it. Was funny trying to turn a bigger board, I went one way the board went the other. :-)
Black

Postby mils » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 pm

Hey Black, you don’t need 7’, too much length and swing weight. Still reckon a well volumed short board would do you. I recently got a deal on a Slater Gamma 6’2”@35+ volume. Thought it might be too floaty but paddles and surfs well. I think peo0le go too long sometimes without considering how they want to surf. I’m older than just about anyone on here (I reckon) but still find I can thrash a 5’5”Evo around when it’s spring/Summer and the waves are tidy.
mils

Postby Black » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:37 pm

mils wrote:Hey Black, you don’t need 7’, too much length and swing weight. Still reckon a well volumed short board would do you. I recently got a deal on a Slater Gamma 6’2”@35+ volume. Thought it might be too floaty but paddles and surfs well. I think peo0le go too long sometimes without considering how they want to surf. I’m older than just about anyone on here (I reckon) but still find I can thrash a 5’5”Evo around when it’s spring/Summer and the waves are tidy.
Funny you should say that because that's the conclusion I came to after two surfs on the 7 footer. Trying to adjust for that board just caused me grief, I had to concentrate on every aspect and hadn't realised how ingrained I'd become to shortboards. My two main boards are good volume really - 34L & around 36L - I've realised I lost some flexibility & strength and probably need to start some stretching and do a few exercises if I want to carry on. I'm 60 next month and feeling it! :lol:
Black

Postby mils » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:28 am

Good on ya mate, stretching and gym work is near essential to keep me surfing these day. Don’t retire to the mini mal just yet :wink:
mils

Postby Black » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:09 am

That sounds like my new years resolution sorted :-)

TBH if I can get my feet in a reasonable position (the hard part) I find a shortboard the easiest standup surf vehicle of all.

AND apologies for the thread highjack!!!
Black

Postby mils » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:37 am

Yep, sorry Reserves, bit of a hijack. What’s the latest on board choice? Might be useful to supply a bit more info I.e. age, years surfing, how regularly in the water and what breaks etc...
Always happy chatting surfboards, but I’m just one more guy in the water...
mils

Postby Black » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:34 pm

Just a heads up to a 6'0 Phantom on facebook if anyone is interested. Nice looker & good volume for a six footer.
Black

Postby reserves » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Saw this one looks ace. Bit low volume for me I think.
reserves

Postby WeAreMemories » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:29 pm

There is a 5’11 & 6’0 Hyfi Black Box 3 swallow tail in the second hand racks at Down The Line in Hayle.
WeAreMemories

Postby decade190 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:11 am

Black wrote:Just a heads up to a 6'0 Phantom on facebook if anyone is interested. Nice looker & good volume for a six footer.

this still for sale?
decade190

Postby Black » Wed May 08, 2019 9:12 am

decade190 wrote:
Black wrote:Just a heads up to a 6'0 Phantom on facebook if anyone is interested. Nice looker & good volume for a six footer.

this still for sale?
Don't know as it wasn't mine.
And
Dropping 10" or so in length could be a leap if not used to swapping around with boards

Told you! :-)
Black

Postby reserves » Wed May 08, 2019 9:18 am

There's a couple of Black Box 2's in 6.0 for sale at the moment.

Probably too small for me, also looks like we're moving from Croyde back to Brighton, doh!

Guessing I have a whole load of boards to sell shortly.

Rocket Wide Spine Tek (5' 10")
Cymatic (5' 10")
Sci Fi (6' 2")
Catch Surf Log (8ft)
Mick Fanning Beastie (6' 6")
reserves

Next

Return to Wanted